Mares Puck Safety Stop Problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We have 2 relatively new pucks (Aug 2012) and on occasion have also noticed the "missing safety stop" phenomenon, but never made the connection with the "low low air alarm". So thanks for that info shared. I wish I had known about this earlier, I missed the opportunity to run some tests in COZ a week ago. I'm an air hog and usually surface below 700psi, so the theory is quite plausible and as an earlier poster stated, begs for a confirmation from the manufacturer. However, don't hold your breath, Mares support is notorious for blowing off customers after the check has cleared.

Just a couple of things which might be old news for some. When 2/3's of any ascent exceeds the safe 30/60?? ft/min rate, it''s then considered an uncontrolled emergency ascent and the computer immediately turns into a brain-dead depth gauge and clock for 24 hours. This will also happen when a deep-stop is missed -- which is very easy if you are diving the very conservative default PF1 safety margin/setting.

Hmmm, here's something to consider... does everyone here dive with PF1 set and would changing it to a less conservative PF2 or higher (I think there are only 3 levels) make any difference regarding the AWOL'ed safety stop call, or even the low-low-air alarm?? Just a thought!

H20 diver, I've just bought a couple of these and was reading the manual a little differently. I may be misreading, but the way I read it, Pf0 is least conservative (default), and you can add conservative factors to it.

Also, on the uncontrolled ascent, I read that to be if you're in excess of the 30 fps rate for 2/3 of the ascent (by depth), then the computer goes into the shutdown mode.

Lastly, on the deep stop miss, that's the decompression stop that is necessary if you exceed a no-deco depth/time. So if you're down at say 35 meters for say, 15 minutes, it's going to tell you to do a deco stop at around 22m or something thereabouts. Many dive computers operate this way.

My primary concern here is on these missed safety stops. My wife just got a puck pro and said it didn't start the countdown timer at 5m on a couple of 20+ meter dives.

I also use the air integrated puck , I really like the computer . The thing I wish it did different was the dive time only goes to 99 min . sorry to get off the subject.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom