What did you just say?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not very experienced, but I do know that the instructor who said the following was full of "it"

"As the air goes down into your lungs, into smaller and smaller volumes, it gets compressed, and more compressed, and then, BLAM! it turns into a liquid!"

Dory

I've posted this before, but it is still, IMO funny:
While on a boat, on the ocean, heading to the dive site, a woman was pushing buttons on her dive computer. She got a confused look on her face, looks at me, and says "Excuse me, sir, do you know our current altitude ?"

I've posted this before, but it is still, IMO funny:
While on a boat, on the ocean, heading to the dive site, a woman was pushing buttons on her dive computer. She got a confused look on her face, looks at me, and says "Excuse me, sir, do you know our current altitude ?"
"about four feet and shy a brick"?

As you will.

To me it was this guy's attitude. As a student one has admitted that you don't know what you are doing. You have hired and instructor to teach you, it seams respectful to me to play by their rules for 1.5 h left. One you get your card you can do what ever you want, Its not like there are scuba police.

Back when I did my open water check out dives, I had a DM tell me about doing a bounce dive to 300'. I believe he was probably telling the truth too.
I am sure it is done with some frequency.

It was done about a year and a half ago in Cozumel. A dive shop owner, one of her DMs, and another guy did a bounce dive to 300, or at least that was the plan before narcosis intervened. Anyway, the other guy is OK. The DM will probably never walk again. The dive shop owner had a new dive shop named in her memory.

An instructor at a shop was telling me about her experience in Bonaire. She said she ran out of air while diving around 80 feet. ( Not paying attention) So, now she's afraid to dive deeper than 60 feet. She's also afraid of night diving.
I told her how great our Galapegos trip was but she's also afraid of sharks.
This is an instructor. Actively teaching students. Alrighty then.

There was an underwater stabbing? WTF. Was he telling you over the phone from a prison?

No, there was no stabbing. I was relating what I would have been tempted to do had I been his buddy and experienced that.

---------- Post added April 16th, 2013 at 03:11 PM ----------

I am sure it is done with some frequency.

It was done about a year and a half ago in Cozumel. A dive shop owner, one of her DMs, and another guy did a bounce dive to 300, or at least that was the plan before narcosis intervened. Anyway, the other guy is OK. The DM will probably never walk again. The dive shop owner had a new dive shop named in her memory.

I'm sure it's been done thousands of times before in warm water, but I don't think it's been done nearly so much around here. Around here 30' of visibility is very good and past 100' there's hardly any light at all. Basically the guy would have been descending for 200' or so into murky blackness.

Smartest lesson learned/dumbest statement I've heard by a rather distressed diver shuffling rapidly towards the port-a-john "never eat at Toco Bell the night before you dive".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom