To those who carry big knives, what are the reactions you normally get and yours?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's not a knife! This is a knife! Great for defending yourself from all sorts of threats from the deep! Who cares what anyone thinks other than you? Use what works for you.
View attachment 152031
Very similar to the one I usually carry.. In the areas that taking stuff home for dinner is allowed anyways.

What I think about the knives other people carry? Nothing since I try to keep my nose out of other people's gear bags!

---------- Post added April 12th, 2013 at 09:29 AM ----------

A knife is a part of scuba equipment, and I always carry one, usually a 3 inch blunt end item in a sheath that is mounted on my bcd. If I am diving in kelp, or in areas where entanglement is an issue, I will strap a 5 or 6 inch blade on the inside of my left calf. I think people leer and laugh when a big knife is displayed when conditions don't really require it as a piece of gear. The fact is that the knife, small or big, has many potential uses, none of which involves stabbing an marine animal. Have you ever tried to do that? Impossible. I have, however, seen a diver stab their own leg as they tried to slash at a green moray (true story). And I have chuckled at the sight of a large dive knife strapped to the calf of a diver long after the dive day was done. ( Leave the big knife home when frequenting the beach bar at the end of the day). Bottom line here- the knife is a tool, a piece of equipment. If you wear one for that reason, ok. If you wear it as an accessory to make you look "badass" then not ok.
DivemasterDennis

That's not a knife! This is a knife! Great for defending yourself from all sorts of threats from the deep! Who cares what anyone thinks other than you? Use what works for you.
View attachment 152031

Too fragile. Try this one:

knife2.jpg

You don't even need to unscrew it from the sheath, just bludgeon your foe into submission! :wink:

When I see a big assed knife strapped to a diver's calf, I usually ask them to wear it on the inside of the calf to avoid snags from fishing line. This is more important if we are diving an artificial reef like the Speigle Grove or the Duane.

When I am diving with my large knife I wear it on my right thigh so the handle is where my hand would naturally come to rest against my leg so I do not need to fumble for it and I can remove anything it may get tangled on easily.

The two knives that I own must be a big six inches in length max. One is a Wynoka and the other one is a small Scubapro Mako Titanium with a built-in bottle opener in the handle. Too bad they do not make one with a built-in cork screw instead as I am a wine drinker.

As to the reaction I get....Gee, is that ever big!!!:wink:

I like the reaction I get from some divers who carrying a bfk strapped to their leg when they see my knife.

Attachments

• IMG_1223.jpg
    IMG_1223.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 79
I have a z knife on the waist strap of my harness, and a small 3" knife fixed on my wing inflation hose where it falls neatly under my hand if I reach across my chest. I have recently acquired a titanium mako knife (about 4" long) but it is in a sheaf with leg straps which I don't like. I want to mount it on my harness somewhere.

I have an occasional dive partner who insists on wearing a knife in a sheaf on his leg which is about 18" long - even I have a double take when he puts it on. More suited to swordplay than anything else!

As far as I'm concerned a knife is a necessary tool to disentangle me or my buddy and cut line etc. if I need to which means it has to be fit for purpose and needs to be easily accessed and handled, even in confined circumstances or when tanged and possibly restricted in movement. For me I guess that really rules out really big knives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom