Recommendation of diving resort in Kending Taiwan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Sue,

The hammerheads might be there in December, or maybe not. This year (2012) at Chinese New Year, we only saw one or two, for a short time. That was disappointing. Shore dives are cheap, though, and the reefs are healthy at Green Island. (There are only a few sites worth paying for boat dives.)

Chinese New Year 2011 was better: a few of us saw a few sharks the first day (but most of us didn't), a few of us saw a few sharks the second day (but most of us didn't), and then on the 3rd day we all got lucky and there were hammerheads everywhere! Here's an amateur, unedited video: hammerhead sharks at Green Island, Taiwan - YouTube

As for dive centers, I have been happy with a guy whose nickname is Hei Ren (黑 &#20154:wink: at CF (Chu Fu) Dive Center). I think that this is their website: http://diving.okgo.tw/ If you can't contact him through that website, I've got a card with an email address somewhere and I'll go look for it if you want.

I don't recommend Green Island Dive Center, except for the hammerhead dives. I have worked in the dive business and I have been a customer in the business in many countries around the world, so take it from me when I say that they are rude, unprofessional, untrustworthy and arguably unsafe. However: in their favor, they are the only shop on the island who will take you to see the sharks. But if you really want to see hammerheads, go to Layang Layang or Cocos or something, because it's likely that you'll never see them at Green Island unless you keep trying day after day. That video I posted was the only lucky dive I had out of 3 days.

There are other dive shops on the island but I don't have experience with them.

Good luck and I hope you have a great time in Taiwan! By the way, be ready for water temperatures as cold as 22-23 C in December (a 5mm wetsuit would be a good idea!)

P.S. Concerning posts earlier in this thread: yeah, Long Jing Dive Center in Kending leaves a lot to be desired in their service and their rental gear. Live and learn . . . I've never had any problems with their air fills, though.

Last edited:
Hi there,

i'm from singapore and myself and 2 other dive buddies are intending to head to taiwan for a backpacking holiday and we're intending to including diving at kenting as one of our things to do.

Is it advisable to not book anything beforehand and just head to kenting to find a room and a dive company to dive with?

we're really unsure when exactly we'll be in kenting. (we're starting our taiwan journey from taoyuan international airport)

we understand mandarin and hokkien, no problems with the language. Just wondering whether its feasible to just appear in kenting and get a place to stay and find a dive centre to diver with.

any cheap and good dive centre to recommend? we can have mandarin or even hokkien speaking dive guides.

Contact TW Dive for a friendly family-run shop, great boat, mid-range to cheap accommodations on site. Last time I was there they had completed a new dorm addition.
¥xÆW¼ç¤ô¥ø·~¦³­­¤½¥q - ¤@°_¨É¨üµL­«¤Oªº·Pı!!
here in English English

If you didn't actually want to stay at the shop, but would prefer a little homestay in town, you'll require scooter rental in order to make it out to the pier.

If I recall correctly nobody can top 1800ntd for two tank boat dives. I understand you're backpacking so you're surely not lugging gear around with you. Kit rental will NOT be included, here is their price list Price List of Gear Rental

If you're looking for more info abut Kenting area diving I must defer to Andy www.taiwandive.com - Kenting - Green Island - Orchid Island - XiaoLiuChiu
He's able to provide so much more info than I. He may also recommend a different operator.

Here's a site for the homestay in Kenting
????????????????...???? Kenting

Because it is in season rooms should rate from 1500-3000nt / night. You might want to book a room closer to Kenting's main road as there will be night markets / shops opening until ~11:30pm.
If not, then motorcycle would be your best bet to roam around the city at night.
Also ask dive shop if they can pick you up from homestay if needed.

Dive shops most are located near the 3rd nuclear power plant area.

Here's a site for the homestay in Kenting
????????????????...???? Kenting

Because it is in season rooms should rate from 1500-3000nt / night. You might want to book a room closer to Kenting's main road as there will be night markets / shops opening until ~11:30pm.
If not, then motorcycle would be your best bet to roam around the city at night.
Also ask dive shop if they can pick you up from homestay if needed.

Dive shops most are located near the 3rd nuclear power plant area.

Hi ajcyang,
thanks for the informative website. just want to check, you mention kenting main road, where there is nightlife, what is the exact name of the road? on goggle map, i dont see a kenting main road, is it nanwan road?

do you think there'll be rooms available if i don't prebook the rooms, we'll be backpacking taiwan and we really dont know when exactly we'll reach kenting

thanks for the information!

Not sure how to post pictures on forum, so I can only describe it ^^"

Kenting main road (local term) basically is Kenting road starting from Mcdonalds going east ending at Howard Beach resort.
Address for Mcdonalds (google map this you'll see it)
No. 342號, Kěndīng Road, Hengchun Township
Pingtung County, 946

Accommodations: If you zoom in you'll see Dawan Rd. That street has maybe 20 homestays. All conveniently located at the heart of Kenting. Depending on the time and day you arrive, I'm 70% certain you can find a room there.

Diving: Most dive shops are in Nanwan district (Nanwan road) near the nuclear powerplant. If you want cheapest I believe it's longjing dive shop, but quality I can't say. Personally I'd go with Dive New World. I graduated OW from there. And I can vouch for their integrity and professionalism.

But either way you're looking at per person ~1000nt gears + ~250nt / tank + 500-1000nt DM fee (negotiable depending on # of people) + 80nt transportation

Dive shops in Kenting usually have hostel rooms as well at ~500nt / person, but like I said, it's quite far from the tourist areas.

Let me know if you guys need a buddy to dive with, I can join too if i got time =D!!

Hi there,

i'm from singapore and myself and 2 other dive buddies are intending to head to taiwan for a backpacking holiday and we're intending to including diving at kenting as one of our things to do.

Is it advisable to not book anything beforehand and just head to kenting to find a room and a dive company to dive with?

we're really unsure when exactly we'll be in kenting. (we're starting our taiwan journey from taoyuan international airport)

we understand mandarin and hokkien, no problems with the language. Just wondering whether its feasible to just appear in kenting and get a place to stay and find a dive centre to diver with.

On a weekday, you should have no problem just showing up and finding a dive center that has a room and can guide you around some shore diving sites. Boat diving would be more difficult because most divers go to Kenting on weekends, so from Monday - Friday they might not have enough customers to take the boat out. But you might need to make reservations in advance if you'll be there on a weekend.

any cheap and good dive centre to recommend? we can have mandarin or even hokkien speaking dive guides.

As you can see, others have recommended Taiwan Dive and Dive New World. I have used them both and I continue to use them both as places to stay and to rent a vehicle and to rent cylinders, but I have never used either dive center for divemaster (guide) services. Taiwan Dive might not be your best option if you don't have your own transportation, because they are located close to some dive sites but rather far from restaurants, etc. Dive New World is presently located on the main road about 10 or 15 meters from a shop where you can rent scooters, and there's also 7-11 and a few restaurants within walking distance. (They're planning to relocate to Baisha but I don't know when that will happen).

The dive centers all offer dorm accommodations for NT$400-500 per person per night. If you're backpacking and want something cheap, then that might be perfect. If you want more privacy or something more comfortable than a dorm, maybe it's best not to stay at the dive center.

PM me for contact info for Dive New World if you want to, and I hope you enjoy your time in Taiwan.

If you are back packing and want something cheap please be aware that almost all the dive shops in kenting charge the same rate, which is NT$1,800 for 2 boat dives + 2 tanks. They will allow you to dive with their group of divers going out that day, it might be 10 to 20 divers all following around 1 or 2 guides. If you want a personal guide you will be asked for an extra fee. Personally speaking I would recommend the latter as with a group you will all surface at the same time after 45min or whenever someone in the group hits 50 bar. If your air time is good this sucks. Add NT$900 to 1,000 for a full set of gear add another $500 to $1000 for a personal guide.

If you speak Mandarin or Hoklo I would recommend Little Green in Daguang village, they are friendly and have a good dorm with air con and TV or private rooms for $1500 w/bathroom, aircon and TV. Ph: 08 886 6778. Or you could try Dive New World in Nan Wan beach area, Mr.Tsai. Be aware boats will not go out on weekdays only weekends. Shore diving is pretty good in Kenting and cheaper, about NT$2,500 per person with gear, tanks, transport and a personal guide.

I do not recommend Long Ching or New Taipei they have a very poor environmental policy, do not do buddy checks before dives, have crappy rental gear and I have heard stories of bad air due to not changing the filters on their compressor.

Be aware that if you are renting gear from any Taiwanese owned dive shop in Kenting that the quality of their rental gear is generally speaking poor. If you want good gear try one of the two foreign owned businesses in kenting. Taiwan Dive or UDive.

I would also recommend booking as far ahead as possible if you are planning to go there on a weekend. On a weekday you should just be able to show up on the day.

Have fun in Taiwan and safe diving.

Hi there,

thank you ajcyang, makhno and ambertiger for all your contribution to my questions.

i'll go check out Kenting when im in taiwan and hopefully i'll have an memorable dive experience.

if i ever go to taiwan to dive alone, hopefully i'll be able to dive with you guys.

take care all, dive the earth! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom