Cozumel or Hawaii?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

billt4sf

Contributor
Reaction score
Fayetteville GA, Wash DC, NY, Toronto, SF
# of dives
500 - 999
I have been looking for another warm-water dive spot besides Kona -- for variety. What about Cozumel? But the flights seem to be more expensive and longer. Is the diving MUCH better? Is the overall vacation experience much better? (We like quiet, hiking, nature, ...)

For Kona I typically get $600 (one stop) to $800 (nonstop, 5 hours flight time) and for Coz I see $800 (one stop) and up for a travel time of 8 hours or more. We live close to SFO but we could go in and out of SJC or OAK.

Just wondering if we should try something new and more expensive or keep doing the same old thing (which we like).

Of course try something new!

Cozumel is awesome!

I went there in August last year, very hot and humid, but the water was a constant 84 degrees! It was great!

PICT0028.jpg

The water in Coz is soooooo waaaaaarm.

Also: Mexican food

Also: massive marine park

IMHO, Cozumel has some of the best diving in the Caribbean, far better than Kona. Spend the extra money and time to try it out. We go to the Big Island multiple times each year but quit diving there a number of years ago, we found it too boring. Cozumel's reef structure has large, colorful coral heads with lots of swim throughs. The water was 78 to 79' two weeks ago in Cozumel and the schools of eagle rays are still around. Lots of excellent places to eat in town so we always stay close to town rather than at the AI's south of town.

Most of the operators will pick you up if your hotel or condo has a pier and is south of the downtown area. We prefer to dive steel tanks and three operations on the island dive steel tanks, Living Underwater, Aldora and Liquid Blue. All three run smaller boats, usually between 6 to 8 people and are valet type operators who take care of your gear so you don't have to worry about hauling & washing your gear each day. Living Underwater will even wash and dry wetsuits. This past trip we used Living Underwater and we highly recommend Jeremy's operation, great boat, bottom times between 60 to 90 minutes, long SI's usually at a beach club if you wanted something to eat other than the fresh fruit, cookies and cake provided on the boat, fresh towels after each dive and coats to wear if you wanted after the dives. Jeremy also runs his boat with an extra deck hand besides the captain and will hire an extra dive guide if the experience level of divers on the boat varies.

Living Underwater offers a personalized, fun and safe Cozumel diving experience!
Scuba Diving Cozumel | Dive Cozumel | Diving in Cozumel
Bienvenidos - Aldora Divers | Only the best of Cozumel
Coz Dec 10 Day 1 017.jpgCoz Dec '10 Day 3 011.jpgCoz Dec '10 Day 3 017.jpgCoz Dec '10 Day 4 009.jpgCoz Dec '10 Day 5 018 v 2.jpg

If I could add, while you're in Coz you can do a guided cavern dive. Caves are magical, beautiful places and the opportunity to see them should not be missed. You will see many dive shops advertising "Cenote" dives, which are the entrances to the caverns. A wonderful experience that you would not regret.

But, PLEASE, only go with a qualified cave diver, with the right equipment.

Flights are cheaper SFO to Cancun (547 1 stop, 736 non stop) also shorter in flight time ( 5-1/2 hours nonstop, 7 hours 1 stop) if you fly into Cancun and take the ferry across to Coz.

If you like quiet try Scuba Club Cozumel as this is a dive oriented resort and if you want to party, the main town is only a short walk away.

Cozumel Scuba Diving at Scuba Club Cozumel Dive Resort and Scuba Cozumel Dive Shop

Almost forgot. The flights and prices I mentioned are on united.
www.united.com

We always look at the options of the bag drag.... Since Alaska stopped their direct flight from SEA to CUN, are only options are a red eye or to overnight in a hub since we can't make a morning connection to Cozumel otherwise. Almost easier to go to Asia from the west coast.

Back
Top Bottom