Questions on some equipment.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MrSam

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I found some used rental equipment on sale at a local LDS that is closing down. They used to rent long-term to divers who were traveling so they had a ton of equipment.

I plan on diving locally (California); so the main area I would be diving would be near Catalina. I found an Aqualung Titan reg (1st stage, 2nd stage, and ABS octo) for a fairly low price. The reg was purchased back in 09 and has been serviced yearly. The shop mentioned that the reg had been sitting in storage for a year and would need to be serviced.
2 question
1. How much would this set me back (servicing the reg)?
2. Can the titan be used in cold water? Living in California, most of the dives I will be doing would probably be in cold water (not freezing, but cold enough). How well would the Titan stand up to the water in Catalina, and similar dive spots?

The LDS is selling sets for $180. The sets include the following:
Aqualung Titan Reg and Aqualung ABS Octo
Suunto 5000 psi SPG
Suunto Gekko Dive Computer
Suunto Compass
Would a set like this be worth the price? Most of the computers have a cracked screen and/or dead battery.

Our water, especially in SoCal, isn't really cold enough to freeze a reg, so don't worry about that.

Very good price if they are functioning properly after checks. Good gear too. I use the Titan and the Suunto compass in Victoria, which is averages below 50 degrees Fahrenheit (10 degrees Celsius) water.

If the gear is broken (e.g., cracked screen or such), don't get it, though.

Thanks so much guys. I will probably only be diving in Southern California for the time being.

1. How much would this set me back (servicing the reg)?
Somewhere in the $70-$90 range for the set. If the battery in the Gekko needs to be replaced, which I suspect it would, add another $20ish[/quote]
2. Can the titan be used in cold water? Living in California, most of the dives I will be doing would probably be in cold water (not freezing, but cold enough). How well would the Titan stand up to the water in Catalina, and similar dive spots?
Should not be a problem.

The LDS is selling sets for $180. The sets include the following:
Aqualung Titan Reg and Aqualung ABS Octo
Suunto 5000 psi SPG
Suunto Gekko Dive Computer
Suunto Compass
Would a set like this be worth the price? Most of the computers have a cracked screen and/or dead battery.

Cracked screen as in glass face or a cracked plastic protection cover? The plastic face is about $5-$10 The Gekko is no longer manufactured and has been replaced with the Zoop. New they are about $300 New the Titan is about $300, ABS Octo around $70, same with the compass, the SPG a bit less. These are just SWAG at prices.

The only thing that has me worried is the dive computer when you say cracked screen. That's telling me its been dropped and smacked off other things. Usually when this is done with dive computers they don't last very long. They are a fairly fragile piece of equipment.

Thanks a ton Scott, I believe the LDS owner said it is the lens cover that is cracked (picture posted below)

Thanks as well Al, he mentioned that his renters were very negligent (half the reason he's going out of business). He lost 2 computers due to the renters storing their tanks incorrectly on the boat (boat sways left and right = tank falls and lands on computer, spg, 2nd stage, etc.). He kept the equipment that were damaged and re-sold them for a very low price.

Screen.pngs

The Titan is a solid workhorse reg, and will work fine for SoCal waters. You can hardly get an SPG for less than $50, even on sale, and if the compasses are SK-7s, they're at least $70 new. If you can get one of the computers that only needs a battery, I think you would have a good deal in the package.

Thanks TSandM, I figured I could buy it then replace the lens cover for $10. The price difference between the one with a broken lens cover and the one without the broken lens cover is significant.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom