Beach disaster with getting fins on and not being able to get up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ben Prusinski

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
So today I set out to do a shore dive in Monterey and I had a challenge getting my fins on past the surf layer. I fell on my butt and could not get back up after bruising my ribs. It was embarassing as folks from shore had to carry me back to the parking lot. What can I do in the future to prevent this? I had a rough time getting my fins on my feet after I was about 10 feet from shore in Breakwater today as surf was kinda bad.

You could try to make sure that you have good buddy with you that knows that you might have issues getting your fins on. I sometimes have those issues and sometimes a dive buddy has those issues.

Working together, it's pretty easy to deal with.

So today I set out to do a shore dive in Monterey and I had a challenge getting my fins on past the surf layer. I fell on my butt and could not get back up after bruising my ribs. It was embarassing as folks from shore had to carry me back to the parking lot. What can I do in the future to prevent this? I had a rough time getting my fins on my feet after I was about 10 feet from shore in Breakwater today as surf was kinda bad.

Haven't been to Monterrey, but I've been in a lot of heavy surf.

Put some air in your BC, move out into chest-deep water, then put your fins on. You can't fall over when you're floating. :cool: (well, you can but it doesn't matter).

You don't actually need the air in your BC to do this, but if it's rocky on the bottom, being buoyant will keep you from getting banged up on the rocks.

flots.

I use spring straps on my fins. For shore dives, I wade in, then put them on while laying on my back.

Without spring straps, I'd recommend just getting in waist/chest deep, like other posters suggested.

I use spring straps on my fins. For shore dives, I wade in, then put them on while laying on my back.

Without spring straps, I'd recommend just getting in waist/chest deep, like other posters suggested.

What previous folks said with one key addition: turn your back to the surf while you put the fins on and then kick out on your back (going backwards) until you're past any breakers.

Oh, man, I don't want to turn my back to the surf, not EVER! Sideways, yes, but I always want to be able to see what's coming.

I'm really, really bad at surf entries. But what has worked best for me, assuming that the site doesn't have a really bad shore break like Monastery, is to clip my fins to my BC and watch the sets. When I think there's going to be a good lull between waves, and smaller ones, I run like a scalded cat out through the shallows and try to get past where the surf is breaking. Then I put my fins on (and I use spring straps, too). This has afforded me the most successful entries of any technique I've tried.

Oh, man, I don't want to turn my back to the surf, not EVER! Sideways, yes, but I always want to be able to see what's coming.

I'm really, really bad at surf entries. But what has worked best for me, assuming that the site doesn't have a really bad shore break like Monastery, is to clip my fins to my BC and watch the sets. When I think there's going to be a good lull between waves, and smaller ones, I run like a scalded cat out through the shallows and try to get past where the surf is breaking. Then I put my fins on (and I use spring straps, too). This has afforded me the most successful entries of any technique I've tried.

Getting the fins on is the hardest part. Spring straps are indispensable. You have probably had far more challenging surf entries than I so maybe I've just gotten lucky.

If the waves are truly big then I'm going facing forward too. But you can tell that before you are in the water. In that case I've done the opposite and snorkeled out with my fins on from very shallow so I can pre-dive the breakers.

If there's actual surf put your fins on first, make your way in sideways and be prepared to go down and stay down in anything more than 18 to 24 inches of water. Having a buddy close enough to hold each other up may be an option, but is also a way to bang into each other.

Otherwise, if calm enough, just wade out till you've got lots of water---waist deep or more---then put on your fins.

Bummer about the surf, I'm heading there tomorrow.

I hope you're feeling better soon.

Back
Top Bottom