Some FL questions...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

there is shore diving from sebastian, south to vero and fort pierce. some really good shore dives too. it is weather dependent though.
did i mention that for lobster season, vero is known for the biggest bugs in the state?

All the lobster march to the Keys the first week of July. There are no lobster in the Treasure coast area. The lobster are all in the keys. Large sharks migrate to this area and eat any divers looking for lobster.

PS-- all the snook, redfish and hogfish are infected with Ciguatera. Tell your friends. :wink:

I personally like the areas where the Gulf Stream comes closest to the shore. This is where you will find the most critters, the largest reefs, and the prettiest water, in my opinion. Some sources say getting toxic lethal stings are much more likely than a bite from a critter. I suggest learning which critters sting and inject venom. Also learn about their favorite habitats and camouflage. Many will sit in wait.

Yeah thats some of my biggest concerns.. Up here on the coast of NH you don't have to worry about that. But now I'll need to worry about sharks, stinging things, and gators when I'm in freshwater.

---------- Post added April 6th, 2013 at 09:40 AM ----------

All the lobster march to the Keys the first week of July. There are no lobster in the Treasure coast area. The lobster are all in the keys. Large sharks migrate to this area and eat any divers looking for lobster.

PS-- all the snook, redfish and hogfish are infected with Ciguatera. Tell your friends. :wink:

Your not helping!!
:D

I was petrified of gators in the beginning. After doing over 100 dives around gators, I learned some things about their habits. Are they dangerous? Of course they are. Do they stay in their territory most of the time? Yes they do. Do they frequent the bottom center of rivers? No, almost never. Do they stay on the edge and hide? Yes they do. Are they easy to get physically close to? No, they typically run and hide from humans. Do they have preferential areas for their territories? Yes they do. Do they have a significantly different temperament than croc's? Yes, very different in a less dangerous way. What is WAY more dangerous than river gators? Sailboats quietly under sail, entanglement, mud caves, barges, drunks ...

ps: worry is a worthless emotion

Here is a river video I took last month. There are no gators in this spot, but go twenty miles down river and you can walk across the river on their backs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom