Votes: 17 16.2%
  • Neutral

Votes: 26 24.8%
  • Not For Me

Votes: 62 59.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a really big knife but I don't use it for diving...

Knives of all sizes and shapes have a place. I don't happen to think big knives are necessary in most instances they are marketed for but that's a personal decision. I don't even have a fixed blade "knife" on my dive kit, just some sheers and a line cutter, which I don't consider a knife because the blade is almost completely protected.

I answered 'not for me' as I don't spearfish or hunt (I carry a standard sized Wekona), but I'm also neutral. If you need a big knife, then carry one.

As big a knife as I can possibly carry.

Having grown up watching Sea Hunt, I always worried that an enemy submarine might send a bunch of spies out the airlock or I might uncover a ring of underwater drugs smugglers and have to defend myself. Over the years I have not encountered these issues as much as I expected so the size of my dive knife has shrank proportianally.

I prefer to carry a sword, any ninja Diver worth the salt water should. mine is large and proud. :wink:

Neutral, I don't care how others set up their kit.

I have been wearing the same BFK for over three decades, it has come in very handy and I would probably swim in a circle if it was not strapped on my calf. I also carry a trilobite and shears, then add any other implement of destruction I need on a dive.

Bob
----------------------
I may be old, but I'm not dead yet.

I had some Kydex dive sheaths made for my Cold Steel Magnum Tanto (8" blade), my Ek Commando Knife (6.5" blade), my Cold Steel No. 1 (7" blade), even my Cold Steel Trailmaster bowie (9.5" blade). Then I asked myself, "Self, you're not a soldier any more and even when you were a soldier, you weren't a combat diver, so what the heck are you going to do with those big ass blades underwater?" I don't have any reply to my own query, so I only carry a Spyderco folding knife on my BC.

Now, if some chicks were to dig big knives, then I'd start strappin' them big mamajamas on my calf.

In my kitchen? I have an enormous knife! A meat cleaver I can barely lift. But
for diving, a little serrated knife with a blunt tip that DSS supplies with the BCs.

I carry 2 knives one small and sharp one big thick and old that I use for as a small crowbar and hammer. This has worked for me but I'm all for whatever works for others.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom