Smoking on a dive boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Please just realize that there are people who simply like to stir the pot and have nothing better to do than create controversy and engage in argument. What everyone is doing is feeding that person by acknowledging their outrageous opinions.
Maybe some of them enjoy doing that :)

Thank you for raising this issue. I know would be extremely annoyed to go on a boat where people smoke and my whole experience would be ruined. So I will take this into account and try to do my homework before making my choice!
:)
Also, I would agree that we need to be aware of cultural differences as what is acceptable and taken for granted in one country may not be the same in another. However, I am not sure how this is approached in different countries. It would be great to hear other people's experiences and how they dealt with it.

No offense, but half the people here probably wouldnt have noticed the people smoking if they didnt see them in the first place and pretending like your entire dive trip goes to hell because someone smoke on the boat? ROFLMAO!

I dont smoke, I dont like having smoke blown in my face, but LOL!

I spent my lunch hour reading this thread. What I got from it is a love affair with a new (to me) word: sheeple. I, too, hope to be counted among my designated flock of sheeple!

Why would you do such a thing?

Huh? I can smell a smoker from hundreds of meters away if the wind is right.
Then I wouldnt wanna be right next to smelly wetsuits if I where you..

Then I wouldnt wanna be right next to smelly wetsuits if I where you..
Wetsuits aren't smelly, unless your nose is a few centimeters away from them, or they're kept in a small closed space for a while. Or unless they've been peed into. What are you talking about?

I don't think the issue is so much the smell as the adverse health effects of second hand smoke, which I think makes the smelly wetsuit comparison moot.

Personally, I don't mind the occasion whiff of smoke, not my favorite thing, but it wouldn't ruin my dive day. I am more concerned about a stray lit ash landing on my gear and leaving a burn mark. However, if the smokers are courteous and go to a spot in a boat where they are downwind, neither the smoke or the ashes should be an issue.

What can I say, I smoke and I have done it on dive boats, Sitting (or standing) on the aft deck with the boat under way. ONE there is NO WAY my smoking can bother you in this way. I usually cant smell the smoke myself over the exhaust of the boat. I do not smoke in covered areas, I agree this would be rude, but something I have noticed is there is a large population of wining wennies that think there opinion should be everyones. And they do what they can to impose it. So in short, Smokers.....be courteous, some folks don't care for the smell of tobacco smoke, I can respect that as should we all. Non-Smokers: If a smoker is trying to smoke in a area as to not offend you, don't go over to him, if you do that's your fault not his. Non-Smoking Nazis: Perhapse you should be tossed overboard anyhow.

Back
Top Bottom