Extra long diving trip, Koh Tao?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rain is generally warm and raincoats just turn into mini-saunas. You can leave that one behind. At most you might need one of those thin poncho things if you're riding a motorbike and don't want to get your pack and groceries soaked. Something with sleeves that you can wear on a boat on windy/wet days is a good idea.

A month might be a bit long for Koh Tao. I went for 10 days last year (my second time) and had done most of the local sites a couple of times by the end of that stretch. You may find that many of the dive centers are more focused on the students than trying to make trips out to what might be more challenging, but more rewarding sites. This was my experience where I was there anywho. That said, Mango Bay is beautiful as is Japanese Gardens and Aow Leuk

One dive site you MUST see is Sail Rock and most of the Koh Tao centers don't seem to go there much if at all. I was there last year and there was a community of about a dozen bull sharks there, and I saw a whale shark on both dives the second day, and swam with it for possibly something like 20-30 min all in all. Big stuff aside it's the best divesite in the gulf far and away so far as I've seen. I very strongly recommend Sail Rock Divers next door on Koh Pha Ngan (ask for Kla: he is cool as ice and a shark magnet to boot). I believe they go to Sail Rock everyday.

If you're in Thailand for a month, I'd suggest spending some time exploring the diving on the West coast on the Andaman Sea and in the Similans. I haven't been myself, as both times I've been the west coast was being battered with the monsoon, but apparently it puts the gulf to shame. There is an island called Koh Bon, where dozens of Manta Rays are known to appear, that I dream of visiting someday.

If you want real cheap accoms on Koh Tao, many of the dive centers have very cheap bungalows for the divers.

One dive site you MUST see is Sail Rock and most of the Koh Tao centers don't seem to go there much if at all. I was there last year and there was a community of about a dozen bull sharks there, and I saw a whale shark on both dives the second day, and swam with it for possibly something like 20-30 min all in all. Big stuff aside it's the best divesite in the gulf far and away so far as I've seen. I very strongly recommend Sail Rock Divers next door on Koh Pha Ngan (ask for Kla: he is cool as ice and a shark magnet to boot). I believe they go to Sail Rock everyday.

Hi Weboflies, I'm also planning a trip to Koh Tao for my AOW course and then fun dive. When did you see the Whale Shark there? I found some document saying that Whale Sharks can only be seen in April while some other documents saying April to October is the Whale Shark season.

Hi Weboflies, I'm also planning a trip to Koh Tao for my AOW course and then fun dive. When did you see the Whale Shark there? I found some document saying that Whale Sharks can only be seen in April while some other documents saying April to October is the Whale Shark season.

I've seen whale sharks on Koh Tao in October, December, January, and February. They were around in August, too, but I missed out.

Some of the larger schools are starting to do full day trips to Chumphon Marine Park, Ang Thong Marine Park, and so on. I can think of at least one resort that visits those and sail rock weekly. From my understanding, both marine parks are relatively unexplored. I'm heading back in August...

I spent 3 weeks on KT last year diving with MD in July and didn't really want to leave. Could easily have stayed longer.. if not forever. Sure the diving isn't what i'd call "challenging" but if you want to spend your days hanging out, eating great food, diving, chilling with awesome people and not stressing about anything.. can't recommend it high enough. Most days were wake, eat, cruise to the dive shop, boat ride out, dive, eat and talk **** on SI, dive, go back to shop, grab a kip, go out to dinner with randoms, drink beer and play pool. Rinse and repeat. I also did a whole bunch of courses there as I could about 3 for the price one 1 in Australia and they are anal here about certs before letting you on boats.
Anyway, I had a ball for the entire time, with the exception of the very first night when I went on a night dive and got severely sea sick. I honestly considered never leaving and staying to do a DM course.... but anyway, here's what I wrote when I got back.
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/thailand/425831-review-master-divers-koh-tao.html

Both times I have gone were in September and both times there were Whale Shark sightings in the Area. You usually only see them at the deeper sites such as Chumpon Pinnacle, and Sail Rock.

Nothing wrong with spending lots of time on Tao. Myself? Not once, not twice, but thrice! My first trip was late Jan. early Feb. a few years back, and I was fortunate enough to catch a whaleshark at White Rock.

Don't quote me, but I've heard tell lunar cycles could influence them. Whatever it takes for them to steer clear of Haad Rin!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom