Shore diving - is it available?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As much as he copied word for word, how could that be a mistake? Hell, it might even work now and then.
I've been on liveaboards that suggested 15-20% of the fare as a tip. Maybe that's worked on some people too. (I usually do 10% on an Aggressor boat)

Considering I personally wrote my site when I started my shop 11 years ago, I recognize my own words - (the original one as well as this one that was put up when my original site was hacked and I had no choice but to create a new one myself). Then put them side by side - with the only things changed being the phone number and suggested tip amount - no accident.

I don't mind if he uses my FAQ's - but I would have at least written the answers in my own words if I were him or whoever it was that he had do his website.

I like Mau - he's a good guy and I am very happy for him that he is back up and running - but this is a little bit disappointing considering how hard I have worked to build my business and the hours and hours I put into creating my website. My original site was much more comprehensive, but some of my data was completely lost and I just haven't had time to re create some of my pages after the original was destroyed.

---------- Post added March 25th, 2013 at 09:50 AM ----------

Overwhelming similarities, but he does suggest tipping of $10 to $20 per tank per diver. :eek:
Overwhelming similarities??? It's word for word other than the phone numbers and the suggested tip amount that was changed for his site (which is excessive IMO, especially considering he is also the owner/DM/Instructor for his shop). I suggest $5 - $10 per TANK - so $10 - 20 per two-tank dive per diver

I like Mau - he's a good guy and I am very happy for him that he is back up and running - but ---------- Post added March 25th, 2013 at 09:50 AM ----------

Agreed, but I think it's time for a baseball analogy ---- maybe 3 strikes -----

1) Certainly some funny business with regard to the website after the accident. The ethical high road was not traveled.
2) The -- uh --- boat , yes that's what we'll call it, that sank.
3) Plagiarism

A little disappointing? He stole your work and he's using it to attract customers to his competing business. If you want to be nice, and who needs to go the expense of hiring a lawyer, call him and tell him to take it off the site or you'll sue the pants off him. Copyright law in Mexico has the same sort of severe penalties as copyright law in the U.S.

It's theft, plain and simple, and very obvious. Just the same as if he stole your boat, and then was dumb enough to park it at Caleta in plain sight. You should be more than disappointed.

Agreed, but I think it's time for a baseball analogy ---- maybe 3 strikes -----

1) Certainly some funny business with regard to the website after the accident. The ethical high road was not traveled.
2) The -- uh --- boat , yes that's what we'll call it, that sank.
3) Plagiarism
Well, the site dispute was somewhat understandable. He wanted his personal name back. The boat that left the island without requirements and then sank, well - that might have a mistake by a contractor. But copying her page so closely is not cool. There is a language translation to consider, but still. I am still amazed at the $20-40 tip suggestion. :laughing: This tipping thing gets out of hand at times, like telling me that 20-25% is standard on meals, but that's absurd.

I admit that I haven't read either website, but clearly this paragraph was swiped and that is disgusting........the part that I DON"T get is why even steal/copy that info when it doesn't even apply? Mau is on the beach still, right?.......he rents tanks for shore diving, right?.........(well, according to Kevin and that makes sense since, yoo hoo, across the street from the beach!!).....so why even HAVE that on his website to begin with?............(makes total sense for Christi who operates out of the marina/downtown, btw.....hi Christi!).......It seems bad for Mau's beach tank rental business, too, no?.....so I'm confused, but I guess before someone blasts me for not going to READ both websites, off I go....(p.s. that tip thing is not cool either, but I don't think that's the bigger issue here, but JMHO)

Hi Betsy!!!

And yes, he is back in the original location under Hog Town!

Hi Betsy!!!

And yes, he is back in the original location under Hog Town!

I gave him the wrong site, the new one is scubamau.com -
the other site scubamaucozumel.com was the old one.
Christi you let Mau use some info after he asked you. He would not use info without permission.
He does do shore dives. He does rent shore tanks.
I see the no shore diving on the new site too. Not sure why. I have called Mau to ask. He was diving. I will repost later.

Last edited:
I gave him the wrong site, the new one is scubamau.com -
the other site scubamaucozumel.com was the old one.
Christi you let Mau use some info after he asked you. He would not use info without permission.
He does do shore dives. He does rent shore tanks.
I see the no shore diving on the new site too. Not sure why. I have called Mau to ask. He was diving. I will repost later.

Not totally true Kevin - that is not how the conversation went and you were not part of the conversation. I did not say he could copy and paste - I said he could use the questions and get ideas from my site, but not use the page word for word.

I am not going to make a big deal about it despite how many hours I put into my site initially and in rebuilding it. As I said, I like Mau alot and it's not a big deal...but he should change the things at least that don't apply to his operation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom