May we start May?...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the advice everyone! I feel better. Re dive ops, any recommendations? I hear okay things about Dive With Martin. FA is now affiliated with a dive op named "Dive House."

Any recommendations?

Cheers!
It's hard to make a bad choice of dive op; virtually all on the island are very good, and after all, the diving is the thing. There are differences between Coz ops in terms of features and amenities, though, and the price varies accordingly. Some transport divers only in small groups while others have larger boats. Some are "valet" operations, which do everything for you, including storing and cleaning your gear between dives, while others leave that up to you. Some will take you to a beach resort between dives while others SIT on a remote pier or just cruise slowly to the next site, and the ops based at the southern resorts will frequently just go back to "home base" between dives. Most use 80 cu ft tanks while a few provide larger ones. Most of the small boat ops decide their destinations by consensus of the divers aboard (with the DM and captain having the final say), while the larger boats usually follow a set schedule. Some will put experienced divers on different boats from newbies, while with others it is the luck of the draw. There are "no frills" ops and pampering ops and everything in between. What sort of experience were you looking for?

What sort of experience were you looking for?

Beach resorts between dives would be nice :)
Really interested in an op that doesn't gloss over the conditions of various dive sites (while I have the advanced certification and have been on "advanced" dives before, I haven't dove in two years and am aware that I should probably avoid some of the hairier sites) and one that separates divers by skill.

Might, depending on how quickly I get my groove back, try one of the intermediate dive sites but we'll see...

I did some research and it seems like Aldora would be a good fit?

Beach resorts between dives would be nice :)
Really interested in an op that doesn't gloss over the conditions of various dive sites (while I have the advanced certification and have been on "advanced" dives before, I haven't dove in two years and am aware that I should probably avoid some of the hairier sites) and one that separates divers by skill.

Might, depending on how quickly I get my groove back, try one of the intermediate dive sites but we'll see...

I did some research and it seems like Aldora would be a good fit?
Aldora is a great op, that's for sure. One of the most expensive, too, if that is a factor. They use 120 cu ft tanks, do their SIT's at beach resorts, run small boats, handle your gear for you, and separate divers by experience level.

Airfare booked. Diving is reserved. Woohoo! Mack and Carole arriving May 26 and leaving on June 2. Diving with Bluextsea. Staying at a condo somewhere down south we think. No condo booked yet. I'll entertain suggestions. We've stayed all over the island in the past few years, but think we'd like a beachy place (for 2) close to the reefs this year.

How far south Cduffey? Ill be there the same time. Maybe we can get some people to meet up at La Hach one night.

Airfare booked. Diving is reserved. Woohoo! Mack and Carole arriving May 26 and leaving on June 2. Diving with Bluextsea. Staying at a condo somewhere down south we think. No condo booked yet. I'll entertain suggestions. We've stayed all over the island in the past few years, but think we'd like a beachy place (for 2) close to the reefs this year.

Check these out Cozumel Condo Rentals - Cozumel Mexico Vacation - Residencia Reef - Welcome We researched them pretty good and they have awesome reviews and not too expensive - and they will even negotiate a little (not much though). We are staying in one of them May 6 - 12 for $649.00 total. Very good deal.

One day only. May 17. Looking right now to dive with Christi but haven't reserved for me and the wife yet. Cruising in and out this year.

Hey there! Too bad we only have a one day overlap! Love to see you guys!

Sorry, don't know much about condos on the island, try contacting Diane at Affordable Trips www.affordabletrips.net she has a lot of inside scoop on places to stay.

Have fun diving with Christi!!!

---------- Post added March 28th, 2013 at 10:12 AM ----------

Ye ol' updated list...

Texasguy – April 27 – May 12 – Sabor – no dive op yet

Coralcop +1 – April 29 – May 9 – Fiesta Americana –DiveHouse

Pelagicsal – Jan 12 – May 25 – Seaside Bungalow South –Aldora Divers

Cobra269 – Apr. 20-May9 - Residencias Reef Condos, Dive withMartin

Clevie – May 4 – 11 – Casa del Mar – Dive with Martin

Ggunn (& the thundering herd) – May 4 – 15 – Blue AngelResort – Blue Angel dive op

Scubatree – May 5 – 13th – Hotel Cozumel – nodive info, but fishing in tournament

Amoses - May 6-12 - Residencias Reef Condos - Dive withMartin

Yaml – May 16-25 – Fiesta Americana – Living Underwater

Vannsbtch – May 16 – 23 – Occidental Grand – Dive Palancar

Fatterboy – May 17th (cruising in) – Maybe BlueXTSea

Mcdougal – May 18-25 – Villa Princesa – no dive op given

Captnpat – May 18-23 – Sabor/Sunscape - ScubaByAlison

Sharky60 – May 17-27 – Blue Angel Resort (Casa Sharky) –Blue Angel dive op

BrewingDiver – May 18 – 26 - Blue Angel Resort – Blue Angeldive op

Tranetech – May 23 – 30 – Park Royal – no dive op given

Iluvcozumel – May 25-June 1 – Hotel Cozumel – BlueXTSea orAldora

Chs8084 – May 25-June 1 – Park Royal – Living Underwater

PhilaDallas – May 23-30 – Secrets Aura – Dive Palancar