Private Certification?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lopez116

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I apologize if the answer is obvious, but I don't know the answer and would appreciate everyone's input. I would like to get my advanced cert, but would like to do it one-on-one with only an instructor and not with a group. I would also like to do it at my own pace and not over the course of a weekend either.

When I got my OW cert with a local shop, the class was fairly large (at least IMO - approx 12 divers, possibly 14). I don't think the experience was the most ideal and it has kind of discouraged me away from continuing on and getting more instruction.

Is it possible to get certified by someone who is an Instructor, but does not work for a shop?

Is there any mandate by PADI that the certification be completed in xx days? Or, do you just have to complete the skills required of the course and when you do, you will earn the certification?

Hopefully this makes sense...

You can do your class with an independent instructor. You can also do a private class though most shops. There is no requirement to finish certification within a certain number of days. You can do it in two days, or schedule it out over a month for example.

I apologize if the answer is obvious, but I don't know the answer and would appreciate everyone's input. I would like to get my advanced cert, but would like to do it one-on-one with only an instructor and not with a group. I would also like to do it at my own pace and not over the course of a weekend either.

When I got my OW cert with a local shop, the class was fairly large (at least IMO - approx 12 divers, possibly 14). I don't think the experience was the most ideal and it has kind of discouraged me away from continuing on and getting more instruction.

Is it possible to get certified by someone who is an Instructor, but does not work for a shop?

Is there any mandate by PADI that the certification be completed in xx days? Or, do you just have to complete the skills required of the course and when you do, you will earn the certification?

You can absolutely do a certification one on one. If you call a shop, I'm sure they would be willing to set something like this up for you for a surcharge.

An independent instructor is another option. I know that PADI allows their instructors to work outside of a shop environment. I believe NAUI does, too. I can't speak to the other agencies.

There is no day limit to finish a cert that I'm aware of. I would suggest doing it within a reasonable span of time, however....over the summer, instead of taking a couple of years, for instance.

Kristopher

I... would like to do it one-on-one with only an instructor and not with a group. I would also like to do it at my own pace and not over the course of a weekend either.

easily done, not an issue

yes

the latter is true

:blush: took too long to cut/quote/write

Yes, it's not only possible but there are inherent advantages ... particularly at the AOW level ... with the right instructor. This is what I do, and have been doing since 2004.

That said, I'd prefer to teach two at that level than one ... this is where you want to really work on buddy skills ... which is hard to do unless you have a dive buddy. And that should not be your instructor for several very good reasons ... not least of which is that you will have a tendency to "depend" on your instructor to make all the decisions ... and buddy diving is all about making good decisions. Besides that, your instructor needs to be able to observe and critique what the two of you are doing.

When I teach private classes (i.e. one student), I usually arrange for a "buddy" to help out with portions of the class that require two divers working together.

To answer your question, there is no time limit on the class, although your instructor might impose one. It will not, however, be mandated by the agency.

Oh ... and I'd recommend checking around and choosing your class based on the instructor rather than the agency. At the non-professional level, it doesn't matter whether your card says PADI or some other agency on it. Pick a good instructor, regardless of agency affiliation.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I hope it's ok to post this here as a direct response to the OP's question.

The answer is yes, you cane get private instruction, and a wise choice. As for how many days, there are guidelines of maximun amount of dives per day, but nothing preventing you from extenting the training period. Your training should be completed with in one year of your academic work.

I am a independent instructor in So Cal and only teach private classes. I would be happy to help you if you like.

http://scubatude.com/Scuba_Classes.html#advanced_open_water

Go private, it is the best way to go! Find a local independent instructor it does not mater what agency PADI, NAUI or others. Interview the instructor prior to signing up to be sure there is a good fit.

I think you are making a wise choice researching instructors, but I concur with Bob, don't discount having a buddy of the same level in your class. It sounds like your OW experience with a very large class didn't go so well, and large classes can be difficult to be in (both for the instructor(s) and students), however this doesn't necessarily mean the one on one is better.

One other thing to note is that with the Advanced class you don't have the same "sit at the bottom in 54 degree water and wait for 12 other people to take their mask off, put it back on and clear it, fin pivot, buddy breathe, etc" that you do in the OW classes. You are more doing fun dives in different environments vs. doing skills. In my Advanced class the only skills were on the Navigation dive where we had to swim 100 yards to get time/kick counts, out and back with compass, out and back with natural navigation (let me tell you, *that* was fun in 5ft visibilty with nothing but sand, lol!) and navigating a square with the compass. The rest was just actual fun diving. I will give the caveat I only had one other person in my class so it was essentially a private lesson by default though.

Sure it's possible. I do it all the time one-on-one with AOW students. And my favorite way to teach AOW is on board a liveaboard so that the diver gets lots and lots of practice and coaching beyond the limited number of required dives. For example, I recently conducted an AOW for a Boston diver and did 18 dives with her. I've also done similar slower-paced schedules with daytrip divers, going out on two or three tank daytrips, but dedicating only one dive each trip as an official training dive while the other two were coaching (or unofficial training) dives. It's generally very rewarding both for me as an instructor and for the student to get so much targeted attention. So if you feel like coming to Thailand.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom