Grand Cayman Newbie-- Advice Sought. Stay? Dive Ops? Shore Dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am new to this forum but this thread is exactly what I need to know more about. I am planning a dive trip to GC in mid-August (yes, I know it will be hot and humid...what can I say), but I really need to have a good diving experience. I am relatively new at it, just became certified, and had a terrible experience in Puerto Vallarta in February. So I need nice clear water and good things to see. My wife is a non-diver (hence the name "mixedcouple" but she does love to snorkle. Most likely two brothers and wives, all divers, one a Master Diver, will be going as well. In researching the opportunities at GC, I see that if we stay on the North Side, the tour operators are limited and the drive to where they are at 7MB might be a long one. I've read this thread and there are some good suggestions of dive operators and places to stay. I want to dive on three or four of the seven days, including the Kittywake, and do some other things on the off days. Don't particularly want to stay in the cruise ship area...would like to be away from the crowd as much as possible yet still have the opportunity to go diving without a lot of hassle of getting there. Does anyone know of any of the dive operators who take groups out really early in the morning, like around 6:00 AM? Would love to get a dive in before the heat of the day hits. Thanks for any help. Basically, knowing what we want, location for accommodations is the most important thing now. So many condos and villas spread out all around the island. I am assuming that the eastern or northeastern sides would be the best for ease in having someone pick us up for diving? Am I correct on that?

I have only used Dive Tech in recent times. They are GREAT. Im a "Techie" and my wife is NOT! They where great. They let the more advanced folks go play on their own(in groups or with buddies) and guide the newbie divers. They have a lot of female dive instruc. and they where great with my wife. Dive Tech is not on the Northend but they do go to some great sites. If you have any advanced or technical interest PLEASE go dive with Steve the technical dive instructor at Dive Tech. I learned more in 2 dives with him(and an afternoon at the bar) than almost all of my other dive training combined! If you really want to butter him up ask him about Saints football.

Nick

... I want to dive on three or four of the seven days, including the Kittywake, and do some other things on the off days. Don't particularly want to stay in the cruise ship area...would like to be away from the crowd as much as possible yet still have the opportunity to go diving without a lot of hassle of getting there.
The cruise ship traffic is on the west side of the island. So is the Kittiwake. You might want to consider staying at Cobalt Coast in West Bay. They have great shore diving on site, and the on-site dive operator DiveTech is highly regarded. DiveTech provides ground transportation for the short ride to catch their dive boats. The hotel is tucked away out of the normal traffic from the cruise ships but it would be a short drive to the restaurants along Seven Mile Beach for a dinner out.

Does anyone know of any of the dive operators who take groups out really early in the morning, like around 6:00 AM? Would love to get a dive in before the heat of the day hits. Thanks for any help. Basically, knowing what we want, location for accommodations is the most important thing now. So many condos and villas spread out all around the island.
A couple of the old school dive operators are most likely to get an early jump on the day. Peter Milburn's Dive Cayman Ltd posts a 7:30am time for his morning two tank but your group could ask about an earlier start if that was really important. I've heard rumors he occasionally is up for an early start.

I am assuming that the eastern or northeastern sides would be the best for ease in having someone pick us up for diving? Am I correct on that?
Nope. Not at all. Most of the diver operators on the west side will arrange pickups along Seven Mile Beach. Ocean Frontiers does offer van pickups from the East End resorts for diving EE. Tortuga Divers is on site at the EE resorts so no van needed.

Hope you haven't booked yet. I moved to Cayman Brac 3 years ago after diving many years on Grand. If you guys want to party Grand is better but if you want a SAFE, relaxing and beautiful vacation come to Cayman Brac. We recently put markers at our shore dive locations and map to follow. You can also go to Cayman Brac Shore Divers on facebook and join us locals for a diver of just ask us for information. We now have 2 fully equipped dive shops and both offer boat dives as well as guided shore dives. You can stay at a dive resort/condo or rent a private home. Check out Garden Estate on VRBO. It easily accommodates a group your size and awesome amenities. Message me back if you'd like additional infor from someone who knows about all 3 of the Cayman Islands. I'm happy to help fellow divers.
Hope to see you on Brac in August.

From my personal perspective, one of the nicest places to stay on GC is at the north end of seven mile beach at a condo like Christopher Columbus, Anchorage or one of the others on this strip. Prices are lower in low season in August. You will be way north of town, away from the cruise ship traffic and the north end of the beach is beautiful and quiet compared to further south. There is easy access from this area north to Turtle Reef and Lighthouse Point for shore diving and most of the operators will pick up at the condo or you can drive to the yacht club (which is close) where their boats leave from if they are diving north. If the weather is not conducive to north wall diving, the boats usually leave from the lobster pot or west bay dock, both of which are nearby. Drew Sailbum is correct about Cobalt Coast, great shore diving and good dive op with Dive Tech. When I was there, their boats were going north from Morgans Harbor and they shuttled us from dive lodge to dock. It is however, out of the way and you need a car to get anywhere else.

I personally prefer the diving on the north of GC marginally to that on the Brac, LC is best of all; but it's all good. Depends what else you want out of your holiday.

---------- Post added April 1st, 2013 at 09:29 AM ----------

Forgot to mention, if you do all your diving with one operator, they do discount the package a bit. Also, it's nice to get to know the crew and vice versa.
As far as early start time; don't know. Wall to Wall and DNS were going out at 7.30 last fall when I was last there. Heat is not really a problem out on a boat as there tends to be a breeze out on the water, and it's nice to take a dip in the big pool between dives to cool off.

we stay at Shangri La B&B in Westbay. good prices good breakfast included in price very nice people. have to rent a car though

we also use Deep Blue to dive with very friendly DMs smaller boats but that's what we like

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom