Shore diving - is it available?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Week before last, had two shore dives at the Cozumel Hotel's beach club where Dive Paradise has an operation. Since we had a dive package with them, they included a free "welcome tank" for taking a shore dive to check out equipment, weighting, etc. I found it to be good shore diving, at 20-25 feet.

Lot's of people trash the shore diving in Cozumel. I know it's not on par with Bonaire, but we are from West Texas. It beats the heck out of the mud puddles we have locally, so I always enjoy them and have for 31 years now. We still do boat dives and yes, they are better but there is still lot's to see along the shore if you take your time and focus on the macro stuff.

We now pretty much stay at Hotel Cozumel exclusively and they have a great area to access a shore dive. It's to the north of their pier and has steps down into about 4' of a protected pool. Once you go over the wall, it drops off to about 12' and then you head out and discover what there is too see. A great way to do equipment check prior to boat dives. The on site dive operation, Dive Paradise, has tanks for $6.

I did a little research and I still cannot find an answer to shore diving in Cozumel.

While I am looking to do scuba with normal dives, I want to do some shallow dives for cheap. Can it easily be done? :confused:

I want to get a tank, some weights and dive in 20 feet or so. Kind of snorkeling but on one breath. :)

From reading the reviews and forums, it seems it is very hard to find a place that would supply the tanks without getting a trip with them.
As far as the shore diving itself is concerned, there is plenty there but what you will see is very different from what you will experience on a boat dive. It's mostly small isolated coral heads, grassy areas, and manmade features. It's good as an adjunct to boat diving but not as a substitute. There are places where you can walk up, get tanks and weights and jump in. Blue Angel is one, and the one I know best since that is where I stay, but I'm pretty sure that the Dive Paradise shop across from Hotel Cozumel, the shop across from Villablanca, and the shop in the La Ceiba/El Cid complex offer the same. I am sure that there are others. You can also dive the shore accessible reef in Chankanaab Park, but it's a bit more expensive because you have to pay the park entrance fee and hire a guide to dive there, though it may be the best shore diving spot on the island. I hear rumors that there is a dive shop at Playa Corona, which is a little south of Chankanaab, but I don't know for sure. You used to be able to get in the water at the north end of the Caleta, but with the new marina going in there, that is probably a thing of the past.

As to just getting in a car and cruising for a spot, there's not a whole lot of that. Generally, the places with a natural sandy shore and easy access are where there is nothing to see within reasonable swimming range. Where the reefs are closer in it is usually ironshore (pitted rock) and not easy or even possible to get in, or especially out. Then there is the current.

That's the best answer I've got. :D

Last edited:
Are dive ops going to rent a tank to someone planning to dive solo, especially if that someone has less than 50 dives? For that matter, is it a good idea for someone with less than 50 dives to dive solo even in the shallows? Maybe Maracaibo Deep is a better idea.

Hi use Mau at scubamau.com and he will let you do shore dives for free. He is located a Villa Blanca. Mid island to Sabor and downtown. Tons of life there. I found 7 seahorses on one dive while there last. A millions cool things on a night dive. And only 14-25fsw. The current was not a hassle. kev

Hi use Mau at scubamau.com and he will let you do shore dives for free. He is located a Villa Blanca. Mid island to Sabor and downtown. Tons of life there. I found 7 seahorses on one dive while there last. A millions cool things on a night dive. And only 14-25fsw. The current was not a hassle. kev
Is he in the shop below Hogtown cafe where he was before? Is the diving better to the north of the pier? We started out from the pier south once but my bud couldn't get his weight right or air out or something - gave up, on him mostly, but hadn't seen anything to the south.

Tex, you know how to do a shallow water entry from a dock? You need to start looking into rental cars.

Will contact some of the companies on monday about a car. Too bad I don't drive a manual, seems like they are the cheapest. Also itching getting a scooter for a day, I know it is dangerous but really want to.

Isis will rent a automatic for you. Margarita will drop you off at your hotel when you are done with it if you have it a couple days or more. She is a great host. She is very fair.

---------- Post added March 24th, 2013 at 04:09 PM ----------

Is he in the shop below Hogtown cafe where he was before? Is the diving better to the north of the pier? We started out from the pier south once but my bud couldn't get his weight right or air out or something - gave up, on him mostly, but hadn't seen anything to the south.

Tex, you know how to do a shallow water entry from a dock? You need to start looking into rental cars.
Yes Don he is in the original site below Papa Hogs Cafe.

Don't drive a manual?! Are you a native Texan? :texas:

Yeah, scooters are very dangerous unless you are very experienced and take your own helmet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom