kona shore dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mansuetus

New
Reaction score
I want to rent gear and do a few shore dives within an hour of Kona. Any suggestions for where to rent or dive?

I don't think I want or need a guided trip.

Thanks!

I agree Kona is perfect for shore diving with your buddy.
Scuba Shore Diving Site Listing for: The Big Island, Hawaiian Islands

We got our tanks from Jack's Dive locker and will say they were always solid fills with no CO. They also had great advice about dive sites with kewl maps drawn out and offered up great explanations. I am sure there are other dive shops that do similar too. We didn't rent gear from them as we brought everything we needed except tanks and weights.

On the one boat dive we did our dive guide ran out of air :shakehead:

Mile Marker 4 and Old Airport are pretty good and are both relatively close so you can take advantage of the unlimited fill option that Jack's offers. Actually, offered, I'm not sure they still do it, but they did the last time I was there.

Thought of doing the manta night dive. Was told that everyone goes to the airport, so I was thinking of checking out the Sheraton site.

And maybe snorkel that first to see if a guided scuba tour would be worth it.

Thought of doing the manta night dive. Was told that everyone goes to the airport, so I was thinking of checking out the Sheraton site.

And maybe snorkel that first to see if a guided scuba tour would be worth it.

Good idea. That is where our group wound up, and it could easily be snorkeled. In fact you will see just as much from the surface as you will below. Maybe not quite as close, but still. Do bring a bright light and wear something colorful.

Just came back to Kona yesterday and looking forward to 1st scuba dives here. Have all gear except lead and tanks and rented lead from Scuba Shack (near Costco) at reasonable price- staying 4 weeks and will dive a bit and snorkel a lot. My wife and I snorkeled with a pod of spinners today at 2 Step - amazing! Looking for a shore dive buddy to go to 2 step or other easy spots. I'm a new diver (20 dives) and looking for someone who is happy in the 10-50' range- safety conscious and relaxed. Used to dry suit diving on Vancouver Island, so this is a treat! Have car, planning to rent tank(s) from Jack's or ? Hope to boat dive too, but pockets aren't as deep as the water!

Mile Marker 4 and Old Airport are pretty good and are both relatively close so you can take advantage of the unlimited fill option that Jack's offers. Actually, offered, I'm not sure they still do it, but they did the last time I was there.

Jack's tank rentals do in fact still include unlimited free refills!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom