Suunto Zoop vs Hollis DG03

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I own both computers. I agree with the statements of other divers that the DG03 will grow with you if you decide to do more technical diving in the future. Having said that, I feel that the Zoop is much more intuitive and overall a more user-friendly computer. It's a great starter computer and will do all you need for a while. Having it to do over again, I would still pick the Zoop as my first computer.

Kristopher

At this point I'm undecided about tech diving. There are a bunch of deeper wrecks up here (120-150ft) that I would like to eventually visit. Doubtful that I'll get into caving, but I'll probably take the class eventually to try it out for myself.

Thanks again for all the help and quick responses.

I replaced my Gekko (the old zoop basically) with a DG03. I like the fact you can put it in gauge mode, its three gas, has a light and the saftey stop count down shows minutes and seconds. Its alot of bang for your buck. It can even be used with a wireless transmitter if your in to that.

I have a Zoop as well as another Suunto. The Zoop is a great first computer--inexpensive and easy to use. I'm not familiar with Hollis, but the brand is often associated with technical diving. While it's true that you will have room to grow with the Hollis, keep in mind that by the time you get into technical diving and have invested in all the equipment that goes along with that, you're probably going to want a new computer anyway. After 5, 6, maybe 7 years, any computer is going to start to feel a bit behind the times, and you're going to itch for more up-to-date technology.

As for the reputation of Suunto computers being conservative (that is, they err on the side of safety), there are a thousand threads on SB in which people voice opinions one way or the other. My wife and I feel the conservativeness is a plus in the context of our easygoing recreational diving, and our Suuntos have never curbed our diving to the point we didn't get to do as much diving as we would have wanted. Others feel the conservativeness is a hindrance. To each his own.

Have used both a Zoop and a Vyper2. Both are great comps, easy to use and understand. I prefer the Vyper2 a bit the slightly different interface and extra button make it just that much easier to use.

+1 for the Zoop or save a bit longer and get the Vyper2 (not the air).

I'd vote for the Zoop, except for the fact it doesn't have a gauge mode. The lack of gauge mode limits it should technical diving be on the (distant) horizon. For the vast majority of divers, that isn't a great concern though.

I just bought the DG03 myself and struggled with the same decision. I ended up with the Hollis. Here's my thought process:

Hollis:
-Moderately conservative Pelagic Z+ algorithm, like Oceanic, et al.; can be adjusted to be more conservative
-Air integrated, if you (eventually) want it. Up to 3 transmitters.
-Track 3 independent gas mixes
-Gauge mode
-DiveGearExpress has a good deal going right now, $249 + cost of DSS bungee and cable
-User replaceable Battery
-Audible and light alarms

Suunto:
-More conservative RGBM algorithm
-Up to 50% nitrox, only 1 gas mix at a time as far as I can tell
-User replaceable battery
-$249 at LeisurePro, plus cost of DSS bungee and cable
-Audible alarms

After looking at it, the only place where the two came apart spec-wise was the air integration, multiple gas mixes and gauge mode availability. The rest is based on personal preference (algorithm, layout, etc.). I went with the Hollis because I figured I might want to try air integration down the road, and I liked the idea of being able to track multiple mixes eventually.

So far I've done three dives (one square, two deep multi-level) on the computer; each time the computer has matched the safety stops/bottom time limits we had planned pre-dive. I will say that the initial setup can be a bit counter-intuitive, but in the water the computer presents its data well and is easy to read. It works perfectly fine with Subsurface on my Mac. I am happy with my purchase. Also, the DSS bungee is worlds better than the standard boot.

Last edited:
I prefer the DG03; actually it's the Aeris Elite T3 - same computer, different name.

Along with air integration capability (the digital gauge is much more accurate than the mechanical SPG) and gauge mode as mentioned above, it can also be used in free diving mode too. Not important for others, but it's important for me because I free dive occasionally.

I own the DG03 and would recommend it. It is a bit difficult to figure out when your first start playing with it, but read the manual and it's simple enough. It is a much better value than the Zoop giving you multiple gas mixes up to 100% O2 plus gauge mode (so you are covered for any type of tech diving if that is what you decide to do in the future). I've used the Zoop before and it is also a solid computer. Only criticism is that it really bugs me not having the safety stop countdown in minutes and seconds (Zoop only shows minutes). I know that sounds silly but if my buddy was done with his stop and asked me how long I had left, I wouldn't know if it was 5 seconds or 59 seconds. Not a huge deal though.

What bugs me is it doesn't show total dive time while displaying safety stop time. I use this for navigation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom