Need Help! Ascent Rate flashing on pro plus 2 computer!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bargeman

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi folks, I bought my first computer, a Oceanic Pro Plus 2 a couple of months back. It has a feature called variable ascent rate indicator on it. There are three bars, green, yellow, and red that you look at while ascending. My problem is that every dive i have went on (at least 12) when i look at my log after each dive the bars are flashing which from what i understand i am ascending to fast, I dive with my son and we stick pretty close together and his computer says everything is ok! is the pro plus a conservative computer and should i worry about this? it makes me wonder if i have been ascending too fast all these years! Am i understanding this feature correctly. Any help would be appreciated.

Watch the display more carefully on ascent. Is it flashing during the ascent? I think what happens is that if you exceed the ascent rate for any time during the ascent, the thing is like a wife (it remembers your failures, and bitches when you are trying to chill out and relax).... Your overall ascent may be "OK" (or close to it), but if one portion is bad...it will complain. many people rush the last 6-8 foot ascent.

Do you monitor your actual ascent rate? You should, if it is within the recommended guidelines of pick a table and you did a SS and you haven’t been sick then you are probably as “safe” as anyone else that ventures under the sea. Do you monitor your ascent on the PDC while you are ascending? That is when you need to be concerned about flashing ascent rate lights. If there is no flashing then you should be good to go.

I can make my wrist mounted PDC ascent rate flash by sliding my left hand up the ascent line too fast.

She has to stop complaining when the rate returns to spec otherize you will never know that youhave slowed the accent enough. When you download the dive can you read your instantanious accent rate to see if it is once again ok. If so i would complain to the maker. I have an aeris and it flashed only the accent rate is too high.

The deal with PP2 is if you're ascending with the computer at waste level then bring it up to view it will detect the rapid ascent of the computer, not you. It took me some time to learn to keep the computer when I could see it during ascent so the computer was not rising and falling in the water column different from myself. Also, above 60' the safe ascent rate changes from 60' / min to 30' / min. I was taught 60'/min way long time ago, so it was a challenge for me to slow down to 30'/min. the PP2 is very sensitive on ascent rate, but unless you're out of control, you're probably fine.

I have the same computer and I noticed that all of my logged dives seem to show my ascent rate as being maxed out or close it. Now I am a very, very conservative ascender. I watch my computer, ascend under my own power with no air in my bc and typically rise slower then all the other divers around me. I know my ascent rate is not fast and as I ascend, the computer does not tell me that I am ascending too fast, but it sure looks like it when I look at my logs!

I checked your manual. The ascent rate indicator on your Logbook screen shows your maximum ascent rate "maintained for 4 consecutive seconds".

So it can't be when your orientating yourself from horizontal to vertical or when you're picking up your console to read; because that's going to be way shorter than 4 seconds. Just try to be more aware, perhaps you're missing something.
It could be that you're properly weighted and just cork at the last 8 ft when you breath in. This is usual for heavy exposure protection. I negate this by breathing in less at the last 10 ft, or I just load up on a few more pounds.

... after each dive the bars are flashing which from what i understand i am ascending to fast,... is the pro plus a conservative computer and should i worry about this?

Your computer runs a complex algorithm to keep you safe from DCS. Ascent speed is a critical component in that algorithm. If your computer indicates a warning on ascent speed, then it's because you're exceeding the safe parameters it's calculated for you. That's not a healthy scenario at all.

In respect of 'conservative', most computers have a pretty consistent maximum ascent rate - circa 9-10 meters per minute. Whilst some depth gauges may be more, or less, hair-trigger with regard to their sampling (the distance of the fast ascent needed to raise an alarm) - it does nothing to diminish the fact that a fast ascent has occurred.

Obviously, what matters here is the pressure differential that occurs when a short duration fast ascent happens... that's a Boyle's Law issue (re: your open water training).

Should you worry about it? Of course... DCS is a serious malady. Ascent rate is perhaps the most critical factor in DCS risk for recreational divers. Add a few pre-disposing physiological factors to the mix...and you could get a hit... don't doubt it.

Apart frpm the math and science oriented responses, consider this: You may be ascending too rapidly, at least at some points during the dive. Remember, ascent rates are being detected and noted at all stages of the dive, not just your final rise to the surface. I observe a number of divers to change elevation more rapidly than 30 feet per minute during their dives. Be aware of your ascent rate whenever changing depth during a dive, and your computer may talk to you a little less. Also, monitor your ascent rate on final ascent more closely. It is not a surprise that your son's computer does not provide the same information as yours, because you and he are not joined at the hip. There is a reason everyone should carry, and monitor, their own computer. But take heart. You are not alone. I'll bet most divers regularly see a computer notion of too rapid an ascent, and most of those see it quite a lot.
DivemasterDennis

Thats funny! I showed my wife she didn't smile!, anyway, i will practice more with this and watch more closely at my rate near the surface and really all thru the dive! Thanks

---------- Post added March 21st, 2013 at 01:11 PM ----------

Thanks to all of you who responded, all of you had great advice! I will keep practicing with this tool. Better safe then sorry! I am guilty of exploring at different depths during a dive, back to basics. good wake up call. Thanks to all.

Back
Top Bottom