Great White hooked in Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I saw this article on Yahoo! and was very upset when I read it. These two acknowledged that brining the shark aboard the boat was illegal, due to their protected staus, but they saw nothing wrong with hooking it and allowing it to pull them and their boat around for several hours?!?! I can only imagine the stress that shark was put under during this ordeal. What did they think the shark thought during this, that he was playing with a dingy??? No, he was trying to get away from them!

Well anyone who feels the fisherman did the wrong thing is far outweighed by those who "Like this".

From USA Today's FB page.
739 people like this.

From ABC New's FB page
692 people like this.

From Go Fast Fishing Charters FB page.
83 people like this.

This pretty much tells me we are screwed and there are more people who approve of damaging nature than protecting rare magnificent animals. Saving the world is hopeless...

Well anyone who feels the fisherman did the wrong thing is far outweighed by those who "Like this".

From USA Today's FB page.
739 people like this.

From ABC New's FB page
692 people like this.

From Go Fast Fishing Charters FB page.
83 people like this.

This pretty much tells me we are screwed and there are more people who approve of damaging nature than protecting rare magnificent animals. Saving the world is hopeless...

Stupid likes Stupid ... And 'Stupid' won't be going on the 'endangered species' list any time soon, plenty of sightings on a daily basis ...

People are ignorant of how fragile our ecosystems are. Great White Sharks are keystone predators. True of all foodchains, if we were to eliminate a keystone predator from the foodchain, there would be untold damage caused, even the possible destruction of the ecosystem. And once the damage is done, it is impossible to correct it. I agree with Peter_C, we are doomed....

People are ignorant of how fragile our ecosystems are. Great White Sharks are keystone predators. True of all foodchains, if we were to eliminate a keystone predator from the foodchain, there would be untold damage caused, even the possible destruction of the ecosystem. And once the damage is done, it is impossible to correct it. I agree with Peter_C, we are doomed....

Humans are a keystone predator. If we disappeared from the Earth tomorrow, other predators would take our place at the top. Why won't the same happen in the sea?

Humans are a keystone predator. If we disappeared from the Earth tomorrow, other predators would take our place at the top. Why won't the same happen in the sea?

People enjoy the doom and gloom. Give them their moment.

It already did, the sharks which are "near" the top of the food chain are being decimated by humans which are at the top, as you even mentioned by calling us the keystone predator :confused:

The top ocean dwelling predator is the Orca, as they can kill Great White sharks, and do for their livers. Since Orca's are protected from man...

Then there are those people who believe in survival of the fittest and there is no need to protect other species, since if they die off, they were not strong enough to survive. Sounds like the previous two posters. There will come a time humans will be gone from this planet. It may be 1,000 years or it may be a million years or more, but at some point humans will no longer be living here. We may die off from our own destruction or we may be wiped out by an asteroid. Nothing is forever. Reality is often gloomy, so it is far better to keep your head in the sand.

It already did, the sharks which are "near" the top of the food chain are being decimated by humans which are at the top, as you even mentioned by calling us the keystone predator :confused:

The top ocean dwelling predator is the Orca, as they can kill Great White sharks, and do for their livers. Since Orca's are protected from man...

Then there are those people who believe in survival of the fittest and there is no need to protect other species, since if they die off, they were not strong enough to survive. Sounds like the previous two posters. There will come a time humans will be gone from this planet. It may be 1,000 years or it may be a million years or more, but at some point humans will no longer be living here. We may die off from our own destruction or we may be wiped out by an asteroid. Nothing is forever. Reality is often gloomy, so it is far better to keep your head in the sand.

The one single thing, that kept our species around for this long and put us on top of the food chain, has been 'brains' ... Good time to use them to keep the environment, we depend on, alive and well ... Guess, some people don't get it.

Back
Top Bottom