GPS Export Feature

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WetDawg

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Mike,

Can you tell us more about this feature?

From my export text file:

What can I do with this information?
Our website provides a way to keep track of your dive sites and enter a
description for each of your dives. If your points were exported to our
website, you can use the URL provided above to view your points online.
You can also copy and paste the coordinates into other map services online such as Google Maps, Mapquest, or Bing Maps to see the individual points. Simply paste the latitude and longitude such as: "49.1266,-123.0978" into you preferred online map service.

However, there is no URL included in the file.

Is this information shared publically?

Last edited:
G'day,

I too can't find any documentation for this feature of the Nautilus Lifeline software.

It seems the unit records GPS locations as waypoints.
But when and how?
Can I tell it to store a GPS location and if so, how?

This feature exports these stored GPS locations into a text file that is saved on my computer.
These locations can be displayed on a map via the Nautilus Lifeline web site.

Instead of allowing me it copy and paste the GPS locations into other services, it would be nice to enable me to save the GPS locations as a GPX file for easy transfer into a boat's GPS unit or mapping software. Even better if you also let me choose to save the GPS locations as a KLM file for use with Google Maps/Earth etc.

Best regards, Lloyd Borrett.

Hello,

I just want to provide some clarification on the GPS export feature. The Lifeline can store up to 32 GPS points in its memory and it stores a new point every 100m. Once 32 points are stored, they will begin to be overwritten.

To export your GPS points, connect your lifeline to your computer and open the lifeline desktop software. Click the button which says "Export GPS Points to Map". You will have the option to save them as a file on your computer and you will also be taken to a webpage which will show the points on a map.

We appreciate your feedback and please let us know if you have any further questions.

Sincerely,
- Lifeline Team

G'day,

Is '100m' 100 metres or 100 minutes? I suspect the former, but just asking for clarification.

So I assume that when the unit is turned on and acquires the GPS satellite signals, it records a GPS point?

Can I tell it to store a GPS location and if so, how?

Any chance the software will be changed to also support exporting a GPX file?

Best regards, Lloyd Borrett.

Lloyd, thank you.

Yes, the 'm' stands for metres. And yes you are correct that once the lifeline gets a GPS lock, it will record that as a waypoint.

Unfortunately, you cannot choose which points it records and which it does not.

Regarding the GPX file type, I am not aware of that being a part of any future updates, but I will bring it up to our engineers.

Sincerely,
Lifeline Team

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom