Why is DIN not the standard in diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i have to disagree.
yoke is not solid or reliable-its yesterdays technology.
yes you can dive world wide with it because most places have an insert to change a 300 bar din fitting down to a 230 bar yoke fitting(think about it)

din is not 100% perfect
its just 100%better than yoke.

if it wasnt it would be rated to the same pressure.

In my 46 years of scuba diving, I have had more problems with DIN valves than yoke, particularly in the rare instance there is one for rental. I prefer yoke for open water and DIN for "overhead". I own and use both. If this does not set well with you, refer to line three in my sig.

N

I usually use DINs with my own tanks diving locally however my travel reg is a yoke as I rarely see DIN valves on overseas rental tanks.

Plus I dont think you can use a yoke on a 300 bar tank.

I think the term to use here is that YOU SHOULD NOT USE 235 BAR regulators on 300 BAR cylinders, however due to the intelligence of some people wanting to do so, adapters have been made to allow this, crazy as it may be. I ensured all my DIN regs are 300BAR so I can fit them to anything I want (235 BAR DIN or 235 BAR Yoke cylinder with adapter). Although all my new cylinders now have DIN/Yoke valves in them making them very versatile.

I use only DIN, so that my regs are flexible for all applications (single, double, stage). However, the way some people throw around rental equipment, I can imagine that alot of DIN regulator threads would be damaged if entrusted to to the vacationing/infrequent masses. I store and transport mine with a cap on to protect the threads. I'm sure that with rental equipment such caps would soon go missing.

You can have my yoke regulator when you pry from my cold dead hands. :) After 40+ years of diving the SAME yoke equipped regulator why switch now?

I have yoke for single tank and DIN for double. For my short experience in diving, I haven't had issue with either myself. So I really cant say one is better than the other. I specifically chose yoke for single because it is just a lot easier to encounter rental yoke tanks in general. I have seen and used far more yoke tanks than DIN tanks but I have seen more issues with DIN setup than Yoke.

I use only DIN, so that my regs are flexible for all applications (single, double, stage). However, the way some people throw around rental equipment, I can imagine that alot of DIN regulator threads would be damaged if entrusted to to the vacationing/infrequent masses. I store and transport mine with a cap on to protect the threads. I'm sure that with rental equipment such caps would soon go missing.
I dive with ops who only have DIN rental regs and amazingly it does not seem to be much of an issue. And this are not "every once in a while" ops but ops who take out maybe 40-50 divers a day. Their biggest concern with regards to their regs is making sure people dont rinse them without the dust cap on..

Because DIN is better.

Get back to me after you have 40 years of trouble free service from the DIN. I'm told the Iphone is better too but I don't own one of those either, just a little old flip phone that doesn't text just makes and receives calls, works great just like the yoke.

I personally prefer DIN, but I have managed to screw-up both types, valve and reg. Accidents happen. DIN regs and valves are easier to mess up with idiots at the helm. Going into any kind of an overheads would dictate yoke, but if you shear off the knob, it's just a pain to remove the reg. I can say I have never had a DIN O-ring fail on a dive, but have had numerous yoke O-rings fail during a dive.

We had both types in our rental fleet and never had a customer ruin either one, maybe just luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom