Avchd: the overall process

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bazzabug

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am sure there have been threads on this topic, but I just can't seem to get a clear answer.

I am shooting 60p on a Sony handycam - avchd so mts files. I have given it a go on my MacBook running adobe premier cs6. It's a pain most of the time and processing takes ages. Here is a sample of the work. In Search of Maldivian Mantas on Vimeo

It looks ok on vimeo but when I run it on higher resolution- like the tv, the blotchness really shows. I went back to the original files on the camcorder directly to the tv and the quality was much better.

So questions:
1)Is 60p too much, should I go down to 30p?
2) What is the easiest most efficient way to process avchd without loosing quality
3) can too much color correction actually do more bad than good?

missing some information on your workflow
are you setting your sequence in cs6 to an avhd preset?
if not then try that or
bring your files in and create a new sequence from the clip

then rendering the final product to h264 for interenet, or tv hd for tv viewing

Premiere likes to convert the files into an intermediate format and then again to render before you convert
On a macbook unless is a top notch and has an SSD drive this will take long time
I installed premier elements on my latest macbookair and removed it after two days the few additional features did not balance out the slowness of the workflow and I found the program counter intuitive
On a mac iMovie does wonders only thing that is not that good are the text fonts rendering the rest once you have a good starting point is excellent especially if you use x264 encoder for the final output file

While I used Adobe Premiere for years while editing SD footage, I have sadly found their products to be real clunkers with HD footage over the past five years and now use Vegas instead for my AVCHD footage. Rendering times can still be long (18 hours to render a 2 hr 03 min Blu-Ray disc on a 3.2 GHz quad core PC).

It has improved a lot, but having a cuda approved video card and multi core processor works great
you have to get the mercury engine turned on and using hardware
mine will chew threw anything now including AVCHD and gopro 2.7K

Thanks for the feedback.

I have been looking to give the rewrap iMovie combo a go as soon as I get some free time. interceptor are you saying rewrap is a waster of time or adobe???

Divingpyrate, i open a new project with an avchd format- I have tried both 25/30p, and then import the videos into the present. Used the h264 for Vimeo, and that was the one that looked bad on the tv. When I render to hd tv the resulting video is jumpy, could be slow computer issues as premier trundles along.

What is rewrap? I rewrap the AVCHD in Mp4 using an automator agent and ffmpeg works wonder and it is free details on my blog
Then iMovie gets the files and process them natively without conversion if you use my workflow instead of using the standard import function

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom