First Time, First Time, First Time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are you staying on Paradise Island? At one of the other nearby hotels like Comfort Suites or the Best Western? The reason I ask is that both of those - and probably several others - have an arrangement so that their guests get use of some of the Atlantis facilities. If one of them is either of these two programs, you might like this instead: Snorkel the Ruins of Atlantis During Your Caribbean Vacation

I don't know what the specific designation of "resort guest" is but it might be worth trying to find out. If you're staying at a Cable Beach resort , I don't think it applies.
Lopez116 has much more recent experience than I do. I haven't dove with BD in many years. Bahama Divers gets a lot of the Atlantis traffic that doesn't want to ride 45mins. to Cove's since they're just across the bridge from Paradise Island.

And yet one more dive/snorkel option (last one that's both afaik): Services | Explore Scuba Bahamas is the only dive operator located right on Paradise Island

Also a snorkel only operation is: Snorkeling | Seahorse Sailing Adventures - but doesn't even seem legal on a 65' catamaran...even spread over all 3 of their boats it must be crowded.

We are staying at the Colonial Hilton in Nassau. I've looked at their website, sent them an e-mail, but never got a response back from them about what they offer. After some serious searching on their website, I found where they have a "dive package", but I'm not doing scuba and it looks like that's what that one is all about.

I'm not overly interested in a long boat ride (I get to have those courtesy of my employer and one of our clients).

Just a couple of other ideas. There is invariably "booze cruse" trips from the harbor that accommodate snorkeling. And drinking....Lots of drinking....so maybe not your thing.....LOTZ of drinking!
Out with the lads? Sure....

Personally If i was there with the good lady i'd have a look at Island World Adventures | The Bahamas - excursion to private island, feed sharks & stingrays, snorkel and relax!
An expensive day out, to be sure, but very cool. It is quite a long boat ride (and longer and harder in weather) but when i last did it, any discomfort was rewarded. DO be aware that whilst the snorkeling part should be just as relaxed as you like....every time i've been there, there has been a big old lemon shark in between the cays. If the other half isn't 100% confident "YOU tired to feed me to a shark" might spoil the holiday atmosphere just a little....

When last there, after breakfast and lunch, we'd throw what we could into the nearby sea and watch gulls, Sgt Majors, Nurse shark etc etc etc come eat with us.
Oh! and also drinking....just without the emphasis of the booze cruise...

Coves is the best/easiest/most certain bet. Unless they're very busy a day's notice should be plenty. (That said, this time of year is very busy)
Bahama divers....Well. I've already read what i was thinking, plus they almost always hit the same sites (by weekly rota) so IMO they just aren't the best.....

I do believe the Hilton has a private has a cordoned off "private" beach area. So if you have gear with you, a practice or two before a big boat trip may well help acclimatize. And you're right next to Junkanoo Beach. Hub of ALL kinds of activity. (Just...not after dark...eh?)

EDIT:- For Island world adventures you're easiest route would be to walk from the Hilton East to the Harbor and catch the Paradise Island ferry. Maybe 500Yds. IWA is (was and should still be) West of the landing. Maybe 300Ft. Take Sun Block! There's not a great deal of cover through the day. Nassau Water Taxi - Nassau - Reviews of Nassau Water Taxi - TripAdvisor

You'll have fun!
Just "take you're time and live long".......as you'll hear.
Regards

Last edited:
Just a couple of other ideas. There is invariably "booze cruse" trips from the harbor that accommodate snorkeling. And drinking....Lots of drinking....so maybe not your thing.....LOTZ of drinking!
Out with the lads? Sure....

Personally If i was there with the good lady i'd have a look at Island World Adventures | The Bahamas - excursion to private island, feed sharks & stingrays, snorkel and relax!
An expensive day out, to be sure, but very cool. It is quite a long boat ride (and longer and harder in weather) but when i last did it, any discomfort was rewarded. DO be aware that whilst the snorkeling part should be just as relaxed as you like....every time i've been there, there has been a big old lemon shark in between the cays. If the other half isn't 100% confident "YOU tired to feed me to a shark" might spoil the holiday atmosphere just a little....

When last there, after breakfast and lunch, we'd throw what we could into the nearby sea and watch gulls, Sgt Majors, Nurse shark etc etc etc come eat with us.
Oh! and also drinking....just without the emphasis of the booze cruise...

Coves is the best/easiest/most certain bet. Unless they're very busy a day's notice should be plenty. (That said, this time of year is very busy)
Bahama divers....Well. I've already read what i was thinking, plus they almost always hit the same sites (by weekly rota) so IMO they just aren't the best.....

I do believe the Hilton has a private has a cordoned off "private" beach area. So if you have gear with you, a practice or two before a big boat trip may well help acclimatize. And you're right next to Junkanoo Beach. Hub of ALL kinds of activity. (Just...not after dark...eh?)

EDIT:- For Island world adventures you're easiest route would be to walk from the Hilton East to the Harbor and catch the Paradise Island ferry. Maybe 500Yds. IWA is (was and should still be) West of the landing. Maybe 300Ft. Take Sun Block! There's not a great deal of cover through the day. Nassau Water Taxi - Nassau - Reviews of Nassau Water Taxi - TripAdvisor

You'll have fun!
Just "take you're time and live long".......as you'll hear.
Regards

I've got to watch the drinking bit, hyperglycemia and all that rot. I do appreciate the heads up on Junkanoo Beach, I take it that the area is a little seedy after dark? ;-)

I did hear back from Stuarts, and Bahama, so I might be at odds as to which one to chose, but I think everyone that has responded has help to sway me.

Thanks for everything!

+ 1 on the Island World suggestion. The snorkeling and overall experience you'll have there will surpass everything else. It is pricey, but very worth it. It is an all day event.

+ 1 on the Island World suggestion. The snorkeling and overall experience you'll have there will surpass everything else. It is pricey, but very worth it. It is an all day event.

Thanks, I'm still on the fence about which one to choose. I'll check with the wife and see how she would like to soend the time. Since she wouldn't be going in, I'm not sure if she would want to spend the whole day on a boat.

Yeah, that area is a little lively.
If you do go for an evening walk, I'd head East toward town.
The Hilton is just north of Bain Town, a cultural continuation in the Pirate history enjoyed by much of the Caribbean.

Yeah, that area is a little lively.
If you do go for an evening walk, I'd head East toward town.
The Hilton is just north of Bain Town, a cultural continuation in the Pirate history enjoyed by much of the Caribbean.

Sounds like we're talking alcohol and 4:20. ;-)

Thanks, I'm positive that info will come in handy!

Well, not to put too finer point on it, you are going to be there in Spring Break (or there abouts) and Alcohol: 4:20 and better....and worse are all part of the colourful tourist menu in a generally relaxed and easy going place. If not interested, maintain calm, eye contact and, of course, your own relaxed demeanor and TONGUE. You wont go far wrong.

Just about 100% of Bahamians are exceptionally polite, to a fault. Those that aren't will be reminded of such social courtesies when one elevates the conversation by employing them in answer. Particularly when the answer is a polite but firm NO. And smile, these are some of the happiest peoples it's ever been my privileged to meet. Culturally, a simple smile really does go a long way.

Such things are mostly offered, with any emphasis, to the younger set.

From where you are, if you do venture into town, there are great places to see by day and excellent places to eat by night.
If you like Greek, keep an eye out on the second floor North side, on the main street. (US, first floor UK) for Athena. Very nice, close too.
Up the hill, against the flow of traffic, turn right at the top (I'm assuming you are afoot?) Is Greycliff's. VERY very nice food. Have them show you around the largest wine cellar (I believe in the entire Caribbean....but i've been wrong before)
Hope this helps!

Edit:-Do have a close look at the Island world adventure site. Last I was there, after the initial boat trip, one could spend the rest of the day on their isolated and very beautiful beach. It has Palm "parasols". So it's not, necessarily a whole day on a boat. Just do take sun block! The 45 minutes there and 45 minutes back can "cook ya whole".

Last edited:
Well, not to put too finer point on it, you are going to be there in Spring Break (or there abouts) and Alcohol: 4:20 and better....and worse are all part of the colourful tourist menu in a generally relaxed and easy going place. If not interested, maintain calm, eye contact and, of course, your own relaxed demeanor and TONGUE. You wont go far wrong.

Just about 100% of Bahamians are exceptionally polite, to a fault. Those that aren't will be reminded of such social courtesies when one elevates the conversation by employing them in answer. Particularly when the answer is a polite but firm NO. And smile, these are some of the happiest peoples it's ever been my privileged to meet. Culturally, a simple smile really does go a long way.

Such things are mostly offered, with any emphasis, to the younger set.

From where you are, if you do venture into town, there are great places to see by day and excellent places to eat by night.
If you like Greek, keep an eye out on the second floor North side, on the main street. (US, first floor UK) for Athena. Very nice, close too.
Up the hill, against the flow of traffic, turn right at the top (I'm assuming you are afoot?) Is Greycliff's. VERY very nice food. Have them show you around the largest wine cellar (I believe in the entire Caribbean....but i've been wrong before)
Hope this helps!

Edit:-Do have a close look at the Island world adventure site. Last I was there, after the initial boat trip, one could spend the rest of the day on their isolated and very beautiful beach. It has Palm "parasols". So it's not, necessarily a whole day on a boat. Just do take sun block! The 45 minutes there and 45 minutes back can "cook ya whole".

At my age, I'm all about easy going, hence our heading out of the country for a few days. :)

And thanks for the heads up on eating. I had asked someone that I know lives and works in Nassau, and she wasn't of much help. I'm not complaining, I think she's just a tad too young to know the right places.

Oh crap, now I've said you're old.

Ok, I'm going to go back to doing some work, maybe I can be productive in that arena.

Just a note on getting a good snorkel. I hated snorkeling when I went on vacation before I started diving - and it was because of the snorkel. The snorkels they use on the boats are inexpensive (no, cheap) and when a swell or a wave goes over the top of the snorkel you run the risk of inhaling water. Get a good "dry" snorkel. They have a Cressi dry snorkel at leisurepro.com for about $15 right now. If water hits the top of it it just closes up so you don't get air or water - sort of reminds you that you can't take the snorkel under water unless you're intentionally free diving and are holding your breath. With the right snorkel you'll have a blast snorkeling. With a bad one ... ugh.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom