NL: Unable to manually turn off or enter Test Mode.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RMVSAC

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Brand new NL, running the latest firmware and desktop software, charged fully.

When I try to enter the Test Mode, as follows, it gets stuck on step 5:
TEST MODE
  1. Ensure that you are outside and can get GPS reception.
  2. Enter Menu mode by pressing the Green and Orange buttons simultaneously.
  3. Scroll through to the "Distress Test" Screen
  4. Press the Orange Button to Select
  5. Press the Orange Button again to continue <<< Won't get past this.
  6. The Position Indicating Light will flash immediately, confirming test.
  7. Press Red Distress button for 3 seconds to deactivate test mode.
  8. Turning the unit off will also deactivate

When I try to manually turn it off, as follows, it gets stuck on step 4

1. Press the Green and Orange buttons at the same time.
  2. Scroll through the menu by pressing the Green Button until you reach the &#8220;Power OFF&#8221; option.
  3. Press and hold the Orange Button until question &#8220;Continue?&#8221; appears.
  4. Press the Orange Button to select &#8220;Yes&#8221; <<< Won't get past this.
I have done firmware update/repair, including disconnecting immediately after the screen goes blank, exiting NL software entirely. On reconnecting it, NL software does report there is no firmware and then reloads the firmware to lifeline-0.64.s19. Everything seems to operate normally except it does not go past step# 5 & 4 as above.

It does go through the self-diagnosis declaring all is well.

Leaving on a dive trip in 48 hours. Help please!

Last edited:
Thank you for your post.

This is something we have come across fairly often. In order to select Yes or No, you only need to press the orange button once quickly, rather than the long press you need to select Distress Test, Power Off etc.

Please give this a try and let us know if it gives you any more trouble.

Sincerely,
Lifeline Team

Thank you for your post.
This is something we have come across fairly often.

If this happens often, may I suggest you have this information included in FAQ?

Better yet, maybe there's an opportunity here to address this in the firmware itself: see below.

In order to select Yes or No, you only need to press the orange button once quickly, rather than the long press you need to select Distress Test, Power Off etc.

I tried that a few times:
  • Pressed it only long enough to feel the tactile feedback. It did not register the "orange button pressed" event.
  • Pressed it down only momentarily and released it before it provided the tactile feedback. It registered 7 out of 10.
Notwithstanding the above, I have a feeling there may be an opportunity to nip this in the firmware itself.

Let me share why I think so: I understand the need for timing long button presses for confirming that a user really intended to initiate/end Distress Test or Power Off, etc. Once at that point in the decision tree, isn't this merely a question of evaluating whether it was an "orange button pressed" (go ahead) event and not a "green button pressed" (cancel) event? While at those two places in the decision tree, is there a reason a timer should be consulted at all for evaluating whether it was a "long press" or "short press" event? Once things get to that stage, why two different responses for short and long press events?
Just thinking aloud...
dork2.gif

I think your firmware programmer owes you a cold one.

Last edited:
Thank you,

You have made some very good points and we absolutely appreciate the feedback. We are always looking for ways to improve our product and the buttons are one of the areas we are looking at closely.

Let us know if you have any more questions!

- Lifeline Team

Back
Top Bottom