Any fossilers wanna show off some photos?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lee, I saw a couple Jon boats on the Edisto that appeared to be jet powered. May have had jet ski motors or maybe something more powerful not sure but I,d sure love to get a closer look. I,d also love to find out more about them.

Funny you mentioned that Phil. I noticed one on U-Tube just the other day. I think at this point they are homemade. It could easily become more popular than the jet ski for skimming through shallows. It seems to be more stable going through the shallows than a jetski. In the video below, he is using momentum to carry him through the three inch deep water. His intake is eating sand and the clearance between his impeller and the tunnel is growing larger, quickly. When I get less than a foot of water underneath my ski, the intake begins lifting things off the bottom and holding them against the intake grate. When you go too slow the engine bogs due to the heavy sand and water mixture in the impeller tunnel. Typically in less than 1' of water you will have to get off the ski and walk it to deeper water.

I have used speed and momentum to get across oyster mounds that are coming within inches of the surface. If you go slow you will get stuck. The aluminum jon with take the grinding much better than the fiberglass bottom of a ski. The oyster shells and sand cut grooves into the fiberglass bottom face of the ski

This design eliminates the concern of hitting a log
and bending a prop or damaging the motor

The wider bottom would allow you to go in shallower water than a Jet Ski. I,ve been thinking about them every since I saw them.

You know it is winter and you have fossil fever when you find yourself subconsiously scanning the bottom for teeth in Crystal River when you are there with friends to see the manatees.

Just waiting for the water to warm up.

teessm.jpg

I don't know what it is Head E but it gets in your blood. I suppose its an imprint within our DNA that cause us to instinctively revert to the early man hunter gatherer mentality. I automatically gravitate towards areas that would potentially yield sharks teeth and my eyesight when looking downwards is drawn immediately to triangles.

ps: the gravel area in the photo is at least worth a close glance

Unless something changes before Saturday it,s a go. 8:30 at Sulivans.

Happy hunting, looking forward to a conditions report, looks like the water level has come down to about 6ft, I hope the temp is higher than the cooper that looks to still be in the 50s.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom