Black Water Diving in Kona, Hawaii

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rramaley

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Here's a little compilation of the footage I took on the 2 night dives we did in February in Kona, Hawaii with Jack's Diving Locker. It was an amazing experience: apart from the guides, my husband and I were the only 2 divers and some pretty amazing things floated by. The biggest challenges were keeping the critters in frame, keeping them in my 2 beams of light from my Sola's (Matt, the dive guide, used 5 lights!!!!), keeping things steady, and getting the aperture right. Lots of things to consider. I think if I'd had a week, I'd have come away with some award winning stuff
wink.png
, but alas, 2 night dives of 75 minutes each was all we had.

Song is "You're So Cool" by Hans Zimmer feature in the movie "True Romance". Filmed on my Sony HDR 550 with 2 Sola 1200 lights (painfully inadequate!!!)

Hope you enjoy.

[video=vimeo;61169972]https://vimeo.com/61169972[/video]

I've seen this movie before on the sci-fi channel, the one with the gigantic star devouring intergalactic creatures.

Looks amazing!

Are you using an uv/blue filter on the lights and a barrier filter, or this is just the sola as is?

It's such a fun dive -- you guys saw a lot more shrimp than we did; our dive was mostly amazing jellies.

That was pretty cool. Filming small stuff at night is quite the contrast from filming BIG stuff during the day huh? :wink: You still working on the other stuff you shot???

I've seen this movie before on the sci-fi channel, the one with the gigantic star devouring intergalactic creatures.

Looks amazing!

Are you using an uv/blue filter on the lights and a barrier filter, or this is just the sola as is?

Lights are as is - no filters - the dive guide seemed to think that that wasn't the way to do it. I put my lights mostly on the highest or second highest brightness and I played around a lot with the iris to manage the hot spots and brightness on the background water. Was tough and I rarely got it totally right. Takes a lot of light and a lot of practice...

---------- Post added March 9th, 2013 at 01:30 PM ----------

That was pretty cool. Filming small stuff at night is quite the contrast from filming BIG stuff during the day huh? :wink: You still working on the other stuff you shot???

Yes, still working on it. Wish I had your footage to work with though - you did a much better job capturing a lot of the things we saw!!!!

Wow! That was a fantastic video. We did this dive with Jack's the end of January. It was awesome. You are lucky that you could get two dives in while you were there. It was our first time to try this dive and it takes a bit to get oriented and figure out what to do to get the best shots with the camera. Thanks for sharing!

Yes, still working on it. Wish I had your footage to work with though - you did a much better job capturing a lot of the things we saw!!!!

Thanks but I'm sure I'll feel the same sentiments when I see your shots! Judging from your other stuff I've seen you could teach me a few things. At least there is plenty of time for honing skills before Galapagos :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom