Help wanting to move to a Caribbean island to Dive.. which one?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don't even think about moving to the Caribbean until you read "Don't stop the carnival" by Herman Wouk. It is required reading as it definitely gives you insight into the "island mentality". Having lived on St Thomas for a while, I will say that it is not for everyone. The island mentality really grates on many people after a little while, and is referred to as "Island Fever". It was definitely not for me, in the long run.

What she said!
Parts of that book made me want to throw it across the room. Norman the clueless one!

We always say the island would be great without the islanders. Allison is right about the island mentality.

I see that the OP has not checked in since the day (Feb. 27) she opened the thread. Is it just me, or does anyone else find this annoying?

We can only assume she made the move to an island with no wi-fi

But seriously, yes, it is a little annoying. If people take the time to respond, you should take the time to read, give feedback, and thank. Oh well, to each their own.

Would never do it...after my last dive trip, and dealing with the locals, they can all stay and rot on their island.

I read a post sometime ago about a scubaboard person who had moved to Roatan and found their house was too desirable to a local and they came out on the wrong end of the debate. Said that the legal system left them no recourse. Makes the USVI sound pretty good. And I love Roatan. I've been there 7 times. I thought about buying a condo at one time.

Sounds a little like my home island... but your gas is much cheaper. Ours is $6.50/gal.

Oh yeah, our infrastructure is fantastic. Our roads are rough and a thrill to navigate, our government is broke, our electricity is 50 cents per kilowatt hour and gas is $4.58/gal at the cheap gas station. That said, we are a US territory (not at all like the USA) and our banks, post-office, etc run the same--sort of.

So why do I live here? I love diving, the weather, and my lifestyle. The best place to look for housing is on Craigs List. Just click caribbean and Virgin Islands. There are lots of places to live but nobody will rent to you over the phone. Mostly when we are looking for a new place to live, we get in the car and look for the For Rent signs then call the number and go have a look.

It's backwards here, frustrating at times, but you've got to let that all go. If you need any information, send me a private message and I'll see what I can find out for you.

Back
Top Bottom