Between Dive Editing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wags

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi guys, been around a bit although never much on this forum but thought its about time I joined in a bit more.

I spend some time on a live aboard over here in Cairns - Australia and shoot the trips for the customers. I like to edit the dives straight after a dive so I am not up all hours of the night editing while on Board. Here is an example of a simple dive cut up straight after the dive.

I use a little WIN 7 PC i5 laptop running EDIUS and an external USB 3 drive. No trans-coding of the HDV material is needed on importing and there is no rendering needed for and effects or titles. All editing in realtime at full resolution.

At the end of the trip on the last morning the 50 minute HDV timeline is rendered straight out to both a PAL and NTSC MPEG 2 spec files ready to be authored in the DVD program to make both format DVD's. Rendering out both formats takes just 60 mins and making the DVD's with dive chapters takes about 10 mins each then just burn the disks.

Wags

[video]http://youtu.be/NNlWKjZZhSw[/video]

Interesting thread...

I've been using a MacBook Pro from the beginning of my "career" as a videographer. I bought the laptop and a Sony HDR-SR1 with an Equinox housing before there was even an editing suit able to work with AVCHD. My first season working I had to film in standard def because I couldn't edit the HD files. Eventually editing suites incorporated AVCHD.

From my limited exposure to the underwater videographer world it would appear that there are two styles of DVD production. One style quickly produces a DVD for the customer right after the dive, sometimes even before the boat is back to the dive center. Other videographers work into the evening and deliver a DVD to the customer the next morning.

I couldn't be happier working on a Mac however I have noticed that the encoding times are quite lengthy even to produce short videos of 15-20 min. Due to this encoding delay, I do not produce a DVD quickly for my clients, ranther I have to spend time importing the video from the camera, do the editing, export the video to Garage Band, do the soundtrack and export again. Import to iDVD and finally I am burning a DVD. From start to finish, this process can take hours. The quality of my editing, soundtrack and DVD are most likely higher than a vdeiogrpher who edits on the boat right after diving but I also spend much more time on the project.

I'm interested in hearing about encoding/export/production times with a PC based laptop. Anyone out there have some experience to share? Mac users, do you find the encoding times to be a bit lengthy or is it just me?

I use a little WIN 7 PC i5 laptop running EDIUS and an external USB 3 drive. No trans-coding of the HDV material is needed on importing and there is no rendering needed for and effects or titles. All editing in realtime at full resolution.

What are the specs of your laptop? Iäm looking for a small portable editing platform to do some quick editing on the move.

I edit for personal use only and I use an Alienware 17 with an i7 4710 mq I run power director 10 and use hardware acceleration through my gtx860m .have to use an old driver as Nvidias new drivers no longer support Cuda tech which makes it so power director will not allow hardware acceleration. So I keep my old drivers for this purpose. As far as rendering times. I don't feel that they are long at all. If I edit a file that is 50 min. Add color correction sound tracts titles and credits. The edit can take me an hr or 2. The rendering takes about 45 min. But I have a high end laptop. 16g ram 3 solid state drives and everything is over clocked ( ram cpu and gpu) so things move right along lol.

Sent from my galaxy S5 Active.

Back
Top Bottom