best dive boat on cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not so much that he's the owner, but the sole DM. You book with him, you dive with him.

Nothing against Jeremy - love him - BUT - this is not a true statement! Jeremy does not dive everyday and he has a few other DM's working for him. Yes, he dives A LOT - but he is not the sole DM.

I dove with Jeremy when he was a new DM working for the previous owner of Living Underwater. He was great then - I can only imagine how great he is to dive with now. I haven't dove with him in probably 12 years - those were the really good ole days :)

When I started my shop 11 years ago - I thought I would be the DM, the Instructor, the Administrator, etc. etc. - it really takes superwoman/man to be able to be THE everything in any business!

I can see it now, on the Aldora dock one day. The dive master screaming at the man who is trying to calm his wife down. "she cant come with us she only has 29 dives. She MUST go on the inexperienced boat only. If we put her on this boat with all the really great divers that have to use HUGE tanks to have a descent bottom time they will cry, and as they are the protectors of 'all things cozumel' on Scubaboard we MUST NOT LET YOU DIVE WITH YOUR WIFE.
Crazy, if I dove with these huge steel tanks you would hate me Mike you would be sitting on the boat waiting for me every dive. With an al80 I come up with approx 1200psi after an hour dive down south. Usually been in deco too. I'd love to be on these experienced diver rides they crack me up. I dive with inexperienced divers every day. Not once has it hindered me from having a great dive. Having good trim does not make an experienced diver.

---------- Post added February 28th, 2013 at 11:06 PM ----------

Not so much that he's the owner, but the sole DM. You book with him, you dive with him. He's very, very good and that's coming from someone who normally hates follow-the-DM style diving. I've dove with about 15 different DMs in Cozumel, probably with around 100 DMs overall, and I've disliked diving with 98% of them.

If it weren't for Jeremy, I wouldn't bother going back to Cozumel as often. It wasn't the same until I started diving with him.
amen bother - jim baldwin put me on to jeremy about 4 years ago and we (my wife and i) are spoiled indeed; BTW, i've been routinely going to coz since 1974 and have been under with many, many DM's and dive ops there - IMO (while there are many fine DMs and dive ops - and some not so fine) none compare with the entire Living Underwater experience that jeremy, ricardo, and edwin provide; we go to coz for the most underwater enjoyment possible - and find it routinely with LU;

Nothing against Jeremy - love him - BUT - this is not a true statement! Jeremy does not dive everyday and he has a few other DM's working for him. Yes, he dives A LOT - but he is not the sole DM.

Yup, that's why I said in my post: "When he takes a day off and hires a substitute DM, it's not the same at all. At that point I might as well be diving with any other dive shop."

I can see it now, on the Aldora dock one day. The dive master screaming at the man who is trying to calm his wife down. "she cant come with us she only has 29 dives. She MUST go on the inexperienced boat only. If we put her on this boat with all the really great divers that have to use HUGE tanks to have a descent bottom time they will cry, and as they are the protectors of 'all things cozumel' on Scubaboard we MUST NOT LET YOU DIVE WITH YOUR WIFE.
Crazy, if I dove with these huge steel tanks you would hate me Mike you would be sitting on the boat waiting for me every dive. With an al80 I come up with approx 1200psi after an hour dive down south. Usually been in deco too. I'd love to be on these experienced diver rides they crack me up. I dive with inexperienced divers every day. Not once has it hindered me from having a great dive. Having good trim does not make an experienced diver.

You damn fish you! What do you have gills???

Yup, that's why I said in my post: "When he takes a day off and hires a substitute DM, it's not the same at all. At that point I might as well be diving with any other dive shop."

Sorry - missed that :)

We may have to dive with someone else this trip, and it is going to be a bear picking from all these operators.
we have been with the same company since 08, we like staying with what works
But things are changing with our old go to.

pyrate - I think you are going to see just how different things can be regardless of who you switch to - especially if you switch to one of the small fast boat ops with boutique service - you are probably going to enjoy not having to go to the caleta everyday! :D

We may have to dive with someone else this trip, and it is going to be a bear picking from all these operators.
we have been with the same company since 08, we like staying with what works
But things are changing with our old go to.
Unless it's for a personal reason, i.e. you like a particular DM, there really isn't much difference between the top dive ops. They all provide excellent service. They all go to the same spots. Far more similarities than differences. Jeremy had me dive with Liquid Blue one time and the only noticeable difference was the name on the boat (and Jeremy himself). BlueXTSea was also very similar when I dove with them, I just like even bigger tanks. Even Aldora is probably decent :)

Basically, any of the top dive ops "work". It's a very competitive business, what with 493 dive ops on the island at last count (maybe that's overstated a bit). The ones that rise to the top didn't get there by accident and they don't stay there by accident. They provide excellent and consistent service because if they don't, there's always another up-and-comer ready to take their place.

And underwater, it really is all the same. After all, most of the dive ops even get their air from the same place so you can't even taste the difference.

---------- Post added March 1st, 2013 at 09:52 AM ----------

pyrate - I think you are going to see just how different things can be regardless of who you switch to - especially if you switch to one of the small fast boat ops with boutique service - you are probably going to enjoy not having to go to the caleta everyday! :D
Oh, I missed that part. Going to the caleta everyday would totally suck. I think pyrate can definitely do better.

...... I'd love to be on these experienced diver rides they crack me up. I dive with inexperienced divers every day. Not once has it hindered me from having a great dive. Having good trim does not make an experienced diver.

Cozumel like any other vacation destination gets many divers with less than 20 dives and divers who have not dove in over a year. Divers who struggle with their buoyancy, kick up sand, burn through their air in 30 minutes.

I have no where near the number of dives you do, but there are different levels of experience. Cozumel is not super difficult diving, but some divers are not experienced or good enough to dive walls, tight swim throughs, strong currents, open water safety stops. I would not want to be on a boat full of resort course or new divers with less than 20 dives. I have had poor dives due to inexperienced divers. Drift diving in a group it happens. Diver panic, poor air consumption, can't descend, in proper weighting, dive site limitations, buoyancy control problems, etc..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom