suggest your favorite dive destination...help me out!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Captain Sinbad
To be honest, I never realized North Carolina had so many Raggies, I know it is a wreck diving mecca, but the Raggies are a surprise plus.
PS: Love raggies.

And yes Canada does have some great wrecks, some old wooden ones that have not deteriorated. But no, Canada does not really promote its diving much. More dive clubs and individuals here that just like to go diving, (in between going elsewhere for warmer water diving)

Bryan

Bryan: That particular day was not a good day for Raggies. On a good day you will be surrounded by over 100 of them and it is a surreal moment with vis only restricted by other fish.

British Columbia has done a pretty good job in promoting its cold water diving. Areas that I am now looking to explore are:

1. NFL and Labrador
2. Northern Ontario and Quebec (James Bay / Hudson Bay)
3. New Brunswick

Tobermory has a lot of potential too but people already know about it.

best place to find your answer for top dive destinations around the world is DiveTravelDVDS.com , 37- hour long dive destinations around the world specially designed for scuba divers. these travelogue shows are unbiased and leave it to you to decide which destinations you want to go to. Nothing sells a destination better than a dvd, video dont lie.....from top side attractions to the marine life and reefs you will find it all. then after seeing the shows you are interested in simply pick the destination you like the best and be informed.

37 hours?? um, no.

How far are you willing to go Marci? Seems that a lot of the suggested trips are long haul trips. And if you have never been on a 24 to 36 hour door to door journey, IMHO they kind of suck and are not worth it for 2 weeks trips.

Do you want to be warm? Or doesn't matter?

Relatively inexpensive and easy to get to. My two favorites in the Caribbean that fit the bill would be Grand Cayman, east end (Compass Point and Ocean Frontiers) and Little Cayman (Little Cayman Beach Resort and Reef Divers, there are several other places to stay and operators that are highly rated). Next two would probably be Grand Cayman NW point (Cobalt Coast and Divetech) and Bonaire, which has been mentioned several times previously.

Not knowing where you've been, this might give you a couple ideas to look into. Best of luck, I'm always scheming on future dive trips, not always relatively inexpensive and easy to get to.

Good diving, Craig

les, i'm thinking within 10 hours or less travel time. craig, caymans are on the short list, i think. thanks, everyone, for helping me dream. :)

best place to find your answer for top dive destinations around the world is DiveTravelDVDS.com , 37- hour long dive destinations around the world specially designed for scuba divers. these travelogue shows are unbiased and leave it to you to decide which destinations you want to go to. Nothing sells a destination better than a dvd, video dont lie.....from top side attractions to the marine life and reefs you will find it all. then after seeing the shows you are interested in simply pick the destination you like the best and be informed.

I went and looked at a couple of your previews and I must say, there is not much preview in them!

The Similan Islands in the western Andaman Se
Maldives
Bunaken - Located at the north of the island of Sulawesi in Indonesia
The Great Blue Hole has been named one of the top scuba dive spots on Earth and is one of the top attractions in Belize.

---------- Post added February 28th, 2013 at 11:21 AM ----------

Want to share some new

The Great Barrier Reef
The Red Sea Reef
Palau is a wonderful diving area in Micronesia

Relatively inexpensive and easy to get to. My two favorites in the Caribbean that fit the bill would be Grand Cayman, east end (Compass Point and Ocean Frontiers) and Little Cayman (Little Cayman Beach Resort and Reef Divers, there are several other places to stay and operators that are highly rated). Next two would probably be Grand Cayman NW point (Cobalt Coast and Divetech) and Bonaire, which has been mentioned several times previously.

Not knowing where you've been, this might give you a couple ideas to look into. Best of luck, I'm always scheming on future dive trips, not always relatively inexpensive and easy to get to.

Good diving, Craig

Hi Craig :)

i prefer Little Cayman, GC is just too busy and congested. And while the company was mighty good at LCBR, I really preferred Pirates Point. Two long dives a day, you manage your own profile, a late lunch, then chill. And an amazing chef.

les, i'm thinking within 10 hours or less travel time. craig, caymans are on the short list, i think. thanks, everyone, for helping me dream. :)

With child or not? LC is my top pick for without, GC has much more kid stuff to do. Have heard that Domenica is great. I think Bradish recommended that pretty highly. On my list.

Compass Point/Ocean Frontiers is quite isolated, far from the bustle of Georgetown and Seven Mile Beach, maybe too isolated for some. Ocean Frontiers offers 4 boats dives per day, 5 on Monday and Thursday with night dives. Between May and Oct they have a great 3 tanker to the far North. Best of all, dives are limited only by gas/NDL. For 22 dives last Sept, average dive time was about 70 minutes despite some gorgeous deep wall dives.

Cobalt Coast/Divetech is also reasonably isolated on the far NW Coast but within easy striking distace of West Bay, Seven Mile Beach and Georgetown. They have two great shore diving sites, one at the resort and one at Lighthouse Point. They are close to a 3rd excellent shore diving spot, Turtle Reef. Divetech boat dives are loosely controlled one hour dives, not quite as liberal as Ocean Frontiers, but not bad. The North wall is really spectacular.

There are many good places stay and operators to use if you want to be more in the center of action.

Good diving, Craig

Back
Top Bottom