SPIEGEL GROVE dive report, sunday, 2/24/13, pics,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reefman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
fantastic day on the water in the upper keys for late FEBURARY. usually avoid the grove on weekends, today decided to check it out,,,,, list of dive operators moored during our double dip: quiescence, ocean divers, horizion, SW, scuba do, atlantis, fl keys dive center, bluewater and rainbowreef. it was crowded out there! 88F up the road in homestead, sunshine, <1ft seas, light winds on buoy SG4, portside aft crane. zero surface and mdt reverse current on the wreck. blue water, a milky(mediocre) 40-50 FT viz, water temp 75F @ 60-100ft. not much of a wideangle day, juvenile smooth trunkfish a highlight @ 85FT. photos from timg,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

reefman
key largo

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 201
  • untitled1.jpg
    untitled1.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 178
  • untitled2.jpg
    untitled2.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 151
  • untitled3.jpg
    untitled3.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 164
  • untitled4.jpg
    untitled4.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 154
  • untitled5.jpg
    untitled5.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 150
  • untitled6.jpg
    untitled6.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 143
  • untitled7.jpg
    untitled7.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 160
  • untitled8.jpg
    untitled8.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 308
  • untitled9.jpg
    untitled9.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 151
  • untitled10.jpg
    untitled10.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 137
  • untitled11.jpg
    untitled11.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 143
  • untitled12.jpg
    untitled12.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 134
  • untitled13.jpg
    untitled13.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 135
  • untitled14.jpg
    untitled14.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:
Just got in today Sunday to Key Largo from NY with the wife and fur kids. LONG LONG drive..Whew..Staying at a friends house he graciously gave me access to for the week here. Will try to get to SG wreck this week for sure. Have cameras will dive! Most likely will go out with Silent World , no real solid plans yet.

Just got in today Sunday to Key Largo from NY with the wife and fur kids. LONG LONG drive..Whew..Staying at a friends house he graciously gave me access to for the week here. Will try to get to SG wreck this week for sure. Have cameras will dive! Most likely will go out with Silent World , no real solid plans yet.

i suggest you dive before friday as winds are forecasted to increase 15-20KTS thursday evening. we hope to get out tomorrow,,,,,,,

reefman
key largo

Will do..Probably go tomorrow afternoon as we are a little beat up from the drive today..definitely will try to go out rest of the week daily as the week progresses and weather conditions permit.Only here till next Sat or Sunday.

Will do..Probably go tomorrow afternoon as we are a little beat up from the drive today..definitely will try to go out rest of the week daily as the week progresses and weather conditions permit.Only here till next Sat or Sunday.

I have done that drive 4 times. Did you go straight thru or stop along the way?

Love the juvies.

it's amazing the macro life on the SG in 135FT(especially the cranes, gunmounts and arch beams connecting the cranes), highly underated. the juvenile spotfin hogfish and smooth trunkfish are a 1st on the SG for me yesterday. timg is considering bringing his 60MM on our next trip, possibly WED,,,,,,,,

reefman
key largo

Last edited:
it's amazing the macro life on the SG in 135FT(especially the cranes, gunmounts and arch beams connecting the cranes), highly underated. the juvenile spotfin hogfish and smooth trunkfish for a 1st on the SG for me yesterday. timg is considering bringing his 60MM on our next trip, possibly WED,,,,,,,,
reefman
key largo

That would be about 120 ft too deep for me. I even avoid the east side of BHB. :D

the spotfin and trunkfish were captured @ 80-85FT. cranes top off @ 60FT, the shallowest portion of the wreck,,,,,

reefman
key largo

fantastic day on the water in the upper keys for late FEBURARY. usually avoid the grove on weekends, today decided to check it out,,,,, list of dive operators moored during our double dip: quiescence, ocean divers, horizion, SW, scuba do, atlantis, fl keys dive center, bluewater and rainbowreef. it was crowded out there! 88F up the road in homestead, sunshine, <1ft seas, light winds on buoy SG4, portside aft crane. zero surface and mdt reverse current on the wreck. blue water, a milky(mediocre) 40-50 FT viz, water temp 75F @ 60-100ft. not much of a wideangle day, juvenile smooth trunkfish a highlight @ 85FT. photos from timg,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

reefman
key largo

Which boat is yours? we were out there too. And today....and tomorrow.... LOL. We went this morning and it was awesome. By the afternoon on our return trip, current was screaming. Fortunately I was doing post office, starbucks etc and didnt go. :)

Planning a double dip night dive Thursday night. Hopefully the winds not picked up by then.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom