Your Best Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Had the best dive of my life...so far... 3 weeks ago out at Roca Partida in the Socorro Islands. Hammerheads, silvertips, silkys, galapagos, dusky, and white tip reef sharks everywhere. Next thing you know a manta shows up to play. THEN to top it all off a mother humpback and calf cruise by us at about 60 ft. It will be hard to top that dive. I'll never forget it.

Not a particular marine encounter (a huge raft of sealions on a wreck 2 weeks ago) or a fun wreck, exploring new areas, or planned well executed deco, its my time spend with familiar dive buddies that lets my mind escape the day to day.....while doing these things. My regular buddies make my best dives.

I've had some incredible dives, but the most meaningful was my first dive on the UB88, a German submarine sunk off Los Angeles Harbor in 1921. Its location was unknown until 2003 when Gary Fabian and Ray Arnzt found it. They didn't share the location with anyone, so my buddy and I began looking for it ourselves. Over the next several years we discovered new wrecks and reefs, but the UB88 eluded us. In January 2010 I received a call from my buddy. He found the sub...four months earlier. :(
He lied to me about the depth and location, so I had to download the software and search for it myself. It took five months before I was able to meter one of my possible targets, and then another month before I was able to dive it. When I saw the conning tower, I remember feeling elated at finally seeing the sub, but I also had a "take that!" thought.

UB88-12_zpsd5ed8544.jpg

Has to be the dives to see the hammerheads off the Eat tip of Molokai. I had never seen these creatures before, and despite very choppy waters and fairly strong current, we had excellent visibility and were able to watch the sharks from above and below, including seeing a couple snag squid being carried near them by the current. we have pretty dives, and lots of memorable ones, but those two dive s on sunny Hawaii day were for sure the most memorable.
DivemasterDennis

I've had a lot of really great dives. One of my most memorable occurred about three years ago, at my local dive site ... and I never went below 20 feet. It was the dive that started a winter tradition for me ... resulting in hundreds of pictures of a tiny critter that a lot of local divers have never seen. I'll try to attach my trip report here ... for those who are interested in reading it ...

View attachment Night Moves.pdf

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

A handfull of dives finding great shells. Too similar to pick one.
Reply to my own post. Humpbacks, Hammerheads, Octopi, Great Lakes wrecks. I got into diving to collect shells.
An OLD SB debate. My question now is: Do you as a scuba diver look for shells or care at all about them? If you care
to respond, what is your knowledge of molluscs that are endangered?

Thailand: Similian Islands Liveaboard

Seeing a whale shark and a manta ray nearly collide and pan away from each other. Surrounded by schools of Color. Unforgettable.

Back
Top Bottom