uploaded C-Card accepted?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Katch

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm sure I will bring mine anyway, but I just converted all my Oceanic Oceanlog dives over to DiveLog 5. The DiveLog 5 is tied into a couple smartphone apps that also allow you to upload front/back photos of all my certificates. Do any (all) of the dive shops accept a smartphone screenshot of C-Cards? While the dive certs do not take up much space, dive logbooks do (especially when trying to keep the luggage below 50 pounds). I suppose the next question is if the dive shops accept uploaded (smartphone or tablet) logbooks if you need to show recent dives?

Steve

I don't know what "all" dive shops do with regard to anything. I quit carrying a paper-based log many years ago, and only carry a single dive card. Everything resides on my computer, and the log is Excel-style, essential info only, no written notes or such things as sign-offs, buddy names, etc.
It's never caused a problem. No one has ever asked to see a log of any kind. Sometimes someone will ask to see the card, and it's easiest to show the copy that's on my phone.

I've kept images of my c-cards and my dive log (at least the dives from the year 2000 on) on my website so I can access them while traveling.

In the Keys they seem to want every certification card you own no matter if your higher certification has the lower cert as a pre requisite or not. The local shops I dive when I see them asking cards very often turn to their computer an clickity click the website to check the card out online. I do not know how many counterfiet cards are out there but that would be super easy to do.. stupid but easy.

My bet is most shops won't ask to see log books if you have your AOW card in your wallet (not sure about just a photo of the cert card on your phone though) unless its been a long time since you dove..... I was occasionally asked to provide log books when I was OW certified if I were planning deep dives (e.g. Speigle Grove in Key Largo). But since getting the AOW (and now Rescue), I've never been asked to provide log books.

Log book?
"C-Card"?

Chug
Needs to learn more about this whole diving thing.

Don't know about other shops, but we take photos of C-Cards, as well as, your electronic log book. We also can set up you account at our shop with your certifications so you wouldn't have to bring them back if you dove with us in the future.

Good Diving

In the Keys they seem to want every certification card you own no matter if your higher certification has the lower cert as a pre requisite or not. The local shops I dive when I see them asking cards very often turn to their computer an clickity click the website to check the card out online. I do not know how many counterfiet cards are out there but that would be super easy to do.. stupid but easy.

I always thought that was weird. If they are going to look me up in a computer, why do I need my C-Card? Never had any one ask for an real ID that actually would indicate I was the person portrayed on the C-Card.

Don't know about other shops, but we take photos of C-Cards, as well as, your electronic log book. We also can set up you account at our shop with your certifications so you wouldn't have to bring them back if you dove with us in the future.

Good Diving

That's good to know Gary, because I've signed up for a dive with you guys on the Spiegal/Duane for Tuesday March 5th. :D

The operation that baulks at my valid C-card does not get my business.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom