Online Nitrox Course, any difficulty in using the C card?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Having just completed a NAUI nitrox class, the short time I spent with my instructor solidified and improved the class since I was able to clarify some of the book material that seemed conflicting. Anyone can test the O2 in a tank, however
my instructor teaches writing the maximum operational depth on the tank for both PPO2 of 1.4% and 1.6%. NAUI requires 2 dives to complete the course, so I will finish the course through PADI since their are no NAUI instructors on Maui.
If you are so distant, you might be able to complete the course on a dive vacation/trip. I am certain I could have done the PADI online course or read the book and passed the test. I passed with a 96% on the written. The practical hands-on gave me the ability to understand how my LDS tests with their equipment. Looking forward to how my dive shop will do the testing.

I have not seen anything recognizing SDA as a viable option.

The two dive scenario seems somewhat silly to me. In the age of nitrox computers, I have already set my PPO2 level in my VT3 and believe that I am certainly more cautious in my diving than a lot of instructors. I know what risks I will take and how to minimize them with training and diligence. Oops, sorry to hijack the thread.:D

Dennis

Agree there is no point in the dives.

There is a point in the having to analyze two tanks. It makes sure that you know to air calibrate first, and then that you can get an accurate reading. I have had the wrong mix given to me by a LDS more than once. (A 33.5 rather than 30 for example) I don't get Nitrox any more at those places.

Take some time to read the WRSTC guidlines for a nitrox course.

PADI is not blocking SDA.

I think PADI takes the position that an instructor is necessary in the education process to evaluate whether or not the student has enough of a grasp of the material to approve the certification. Since the SDA Nitrox course is 100% online, PADI would not accept this certification has equivalent to their own since the cardholder was never evaluated by an instructor. I don't know about the other programs SDA offers, since their website doesn't work at the moment (Scuba Divers of America - SDA Scuba Certification Agency)

I think it is a big stretch to say that PADI is trying to create a monopoly when they so often accept cards from other agencies such as NAUI and SDI to satisfy pre-requisites for their programs.

Do you no longer live in Mesa?

If you still do, there's many valley options. Like: Information on Nitrox Courses with Academy of Scuba If you do the online then go by one of their shops they'll run you through the practical side in about 30mins. and issue your EAN card. Frequently Asked Questions About Your Nitrox Course with Academy of Scuba - plus how can you go wrong with Nitrox.com...

Saguaro Scuba in Mesa also does the TDI and SDI online Nitrox courses if you're not set on PADI. IDK the details.

Closer to Mesa, Scuba Magic in Tempe also teaches either a PADI ($139) or SDI ($99) course the 2nd Tuesday of the month. The 2 dives are optional. Or ScubaShop in east Mesa - they're PADI.

I virtually guarantee I could teach a noobie, theory-only trained, nitrox diver some critical lessons on those two dives..

would those lessons be directly related to diving nitrox, or other lessons to help the student become a better diver in general?

I am not intending to be critical of your statement, just curious about what can be learned about diving nitrox that is better done while diving. I would agree that teaching better buoyancy control would help a nitrox diver stay about the MOD, but are there more things?

---------- Post added February 22nd, 2013 at 08:16 AM ----------

Take some time to read the WRSTC guidlines for a nitrox course.

thanks, never seen that before. The following excerpt supports my original point that PADI's position is that certification requires instructor evaluation.

Section 3.7
All optional enriched air nitrox dives should include a hands on
practical application session. It is the instructor’s responsibility to assure the student has the ability to analyze
and safely plan enriched air dives prior to certification.

Agree there is no point in the dives.

There is no point to a lot of my dives, but I go anyway. Any excuse to get in the water.

Bob
-----------------------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

The following excerpt supports my original point that PADI's position is that certification requires instructor evaluation.

Section 3.7
All optional enriched air nitrox dives should include a hands on
practical application session. It is the instructor’s responsibility to assure the student has the ability to analyze
and safely plan enriched air dives prior to certification.

In the United States and the rest of the industrialized world, the average person, with a less than average education, would have no problem reading a Nitrox book and any manual from a Nitrox analyzer, and be quite safe to dive without a Nitrox course from an agency.

And while the instructor I had for Nitrox was well prepared and had a very comprehensive course, I obtained no new knowledge from the course that I did not read in the book. I did obtain experiance operating analyzer. That was not worth the price of the course or my time.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input. It looks like the PADI online course wil be the best for me.
If you are going to use a dive computer, you might want to consider the SCUBA Diving International ( SDI ) computer nitrox course that is available on-line w/ a follow-up w/ an instructor.

Back
Top Bottom