Turtle fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

knfmn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just ran into something weird. I got a new pair of Turtle fins to go with my new drysuit and when I went to change the straps for spring straps I found something I didn't expect to see....pins instead of screws. Has anyone else ever ran into that? I never have. The other pairs I've seen have all been screwed together. Not a big deal, the pin seems to be the same size and I have a Dremel that should do an awesome job on the pin, but it seems weird to me.

Kristopher

Yep! That's how they do them (mine were from 10 years ago, and the buckle was that way). Time to grind/cut.

I've never owned turtles but my jets came with pins. I didn't have access to a grinder so just used a punch and knocked them out with out too much trouble, they were fairly soft and looked to be brass.

I popped mine off with a pair of pliers.

if you use a dremel, and cut the bracket instead of the pin, it makes it difficult to go back to the straps (not that there is a reason to ever do that, just saying lol)

I dremeled them and then popped them out with a pair of pliers. I feel like a dummy. Apparently this is how they used to be made. I've never owned a pair of Turtles, so I just thought it was weird. All is well now!

Kristopher

I have often wondered why it is this way. I would estimate that most people that buy turtle fins (or jet fins), immediately put spring straps on.

The pins are a secure way to mount the straps, but why can't you just get the fins with spring straps already on?

I have often wondered why it is this way. I would estimate that most people that buy turtle fins (or jet fins), immediately put spring straps on.

The pins are a secure way to mount the straps, but why can't you just get the fins with spring straps already on?

I have no clue. It would make a lot of sense. My other pair of fins is a set of Hollis F1's and the spring straps were a selling point for me. Nice to be able to buy the fins with the spring straps already on, instead of having to make a separate purchase and put everything together at home.

Kristopher

Scubastore sell jet fins with spring straps i just received my pair.

Scubapro Jet Fin. Fins Open heel, Scubastore.com, buy, offers, dive

I have been to scubastore before, but never bought anything since I haven't been able to figure out how to buy something from them. The product page (including the one posted above) is informative, and has good pictures, but I don't see any button anywhere to "buy it"

Dear Ninoh,

i received the fins from them last week and the service was very good, it took 2 working days for the fins to come to greece from spain!

I just checked and there is a buy button, i dont know if there are any regional restriction.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom