Need Help, $$$ question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am more of a wreck diver and I also clean boat hulls, change zincs, ect. My buddy found a job for us we are 19 yrs old. There is a 30 ft wood dragger thank sunk in its 10ft deep slip around 2 years ago. I assume it is in the sand fairly deep in the sand but we will do a exploratory dive. We also are from LI, NY and the water temp is around 40 degrees right now. I have two questions.

1. What would I charge for something like this, I normally charge 125$ an hour in the summer while diving in my 300$ wetsuit and 65 degree water. Now im going to be using my 3,000$ dry suit and freezing my ass off still after an hour or two in the water. I was thinking somewhere around 300$ an hr. Is that outrageous?

2. I havent fully discussed the situation with the company that is providing the cranes and equipment for the job, but does anyone have an idea how this job would be tackled?

Thanks in advance, Kevin

Assuming you will be paid to unsink the boat, I think you are in waaaay over your head (no pun intended.) Why would the salvors hire two teenagers with zero experience? More importantly; why would they hire two teenagers with no insurance?

Suggest you go to Offshorediver.com and direct your question to Spunbrass. His reply will be invaluable.

Suggest you go to Offshorediver.com and direct your question to Spunbrass. His reply will be invaluable.

What? You tryin' to get the kid traumatized?
tongue.gif

Kevin said:
does anyone have an idea how this job would be tackled?
If you're asking this question, you shouldn't be doing this job. IMHO

I charge a daily rate. The daily rate increases as the danger increases. This daily rate is per person, and is in the thousands. I also charge a daily rate for the equipment I bring, but sounds like the company is providing the equipment. I have been burned raising boats before... right up until the boat starts filling with water.

Get paid up front.
For me... on a 30' boat, if I can't reach it with a crane...

Strap lift bags to it. Fill the lift bags with air. This will not get the boat to the surface to pump it out. Stick deflated Truck Inner Tubes under the hull. Fill the inner tubes. This will make the boat break the surface. Suck the water out. Tow to shore. If they don't pay, pull the plug and let her sink.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom