Dangerous gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Elmer, my opinion of France and of JYC are also about the same. Admiration, in both cases.

I'm fairly familiar with European History, having taught elements of it on a university level for many years. The 1914-1918 War Poets were my specialty, but I know a fair amout about all the rest of it. I also have some very direct personal experience with more recent military activity. There were plenty of villains in both world wars, and absolutely no heros. None. I can't think of a single nation that was not guilty of the mass slaughter of civilians and of even worse atrocities. We Americans were no better and no worse than the French or the perfidious British. We acted in every case in our best interests, or what we perceived to be our best interests at the time, and never hesitated to kill anyone who got in the way. Certainly, the Germans and some of their allies were infinitely more murderous, and motivated by the same kind of vile racist madness that led to the extermination of whole nations of people by the United States during the second half of the 19th Century. Genocide was not invented by the United States, and it was certainly not invented by the mid-20th Century Germans.

Victors always get to write the history books, and idiots confuse patriotism with total uncritical support in the manner of sports fans. In fact, we all are deeply flawed, in one way or another. The most recent figures from the US government estimate that about 3 million Vietnamese were killed between 1964 and 1974. Most were civilians whose only crime was getting in the way of the world's mightiest military machine.

The French suffered proportionately more casualties during WW1 than any other nation. They fought with a bravery and ferocity that has seldom been equaled. Then, after winning that war, they proceeded to foolishly create many of the issues that led to WW2. Like so many people and nations, they are an interesting mixture of bravery and stupidity. Perhaps a little more courageous and a little less stupid than we Americans, but basically the same.

I think I'll stop here before I get someone angry. I've noticed that people who never shed a drop of blood in the service of their nation, who never cried with terror, felt real fear, frequently have the biggest mouths.

That was not a history lecture, Sitka. I expressed my opinion, as you did. When I lectured it was more about poetry than politics. Things like:

'You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye

who cheer when soldier lads march by

Sneak home and pray you'll never know

the hell where youth and laughter go"

I'll take your advice under consideration.

Keep on educating --enjoying your posts

Half a league, Half a league onward, Into the valley of death rode the six hundred
Lord Alfred Tennyson

I think I shall never see a poem as beautiful as a tree...
Pvt Joyce Kilmer-KIA WW1

Sam Mc Gee was born in Tennessee where the cotton blooms and blows
Sir Robert Service...lost his arm WW1

Memorized those and many more while serving in USAF
SDM
Captain USAF,
Korea

Thank you Sam. Let me share a bit of verse written by Charles Sorley, a 20 year old Captain in the British Army killed in 1915. This fragment was found in his kit: his thoughts about the ocean of blood soaked into the soil at Loos where he was killed. It was, he reflected, simply fertilizer.

" Earth that blossomed and was glad

'neath the cross that Jesus had

shall rejoice and blossom too

when the bullet reaches you"

It invariably comes to mind whenever I visit old friends at Arlington.

Okay, I'm going to add a bit here, as this morning I was out with my wife and put on my fairly new Nike shoes--made in Vietnam. I was in South Vietnam when we were at war with North Vietnam. Now, they are our business partner. Things change. I have uploaded my poem, A Tribute to Al Avery, who was lost on the BAT 21 mission made popular in a movie (which never came close to depicting the real missions). It is below, with our Pararescue Running Song on the border. The remains of the crewmembers of Jolly 67 were recovered in 1997, and my poem is about their loss and burial.

A colleague of mine, Udo Fischer, SMSGT, USAF who served in WWII, Korea and Vietnam (stationed in Thailand) wrote the following poem too:

NO MORE!
Pararescueman Udo C. J. Fischer 1972

I was with Rescue when the bombs were falling,
And thought, "No more! This is appalling!"
It was the War of Worlds to end all wars;
So we hoped and prayed up to the stars.

The smoke and pain had not yet cleared,
When things went wild and the world got scared.
Again I was in Rescue, not in the mud, but in the air.
Such hellish mess, and reason to despair.

"War is War!" so someone said,
"No good--just bad and sad."
WHO ARE THOSE WEENIES WHO START IT ALL;
WHO ARE NOT THERE TO SEE THE GOOD MEN FALL?

This second time around, for bewildered me,
I said, "No more of this I want to see!"
We saved and helped to ease the pain;
For us in Rescue, the efforts were not in vain.

Some years went by--but not too far--
When things again began to pop: ANOTHER WAR!
Here too, I flew and served to rescue men
To keep them out of the dreadful prison "pen."

"MY GOD--THIS IS NO WAY TO LIVE--
TO HAVE THESE WARS AND NO LOVE TO GIVE!"

The suffering--so deep in fright--
Was felt by those who had to serve and fight.

"NO MORE!" I said again--and cried.
The stars above showed Peace in might--
For people on earth, peace was not yet in sight;
We just had hell with no delight.

The rescue folks in war and peace,
Were there to help and bring some ease.
But such is little in so many bloody wars.
What we need--is wisdom from the stars!

PARARESCUE--50 YEARS
The Pararescue Association,
Taylor Publishing Company,
Copyright 1996, page 115.

John C. Ratliff, SSGT, USAF, 1967-77 (SeaRat)
Okinawa, Korea (Pueblo), Bermuda, Florida, Vietnam, Oregon

Attachments

• Al Avery.jpg
    Al Avery.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 233
Last edited:
How does a thread start up discussing dangerous gear and end with discussing war poetry? :D

BTW, Genocide is as old as the bible. In the Old Testament there are stories of the Israelites conquering people and then destroying them and their belongings.

How does a thread start up discussing dangerous gear and end with discussing war poetry? :D

BTW, Genocide is as old as the bible. In the Old Testament there are stories of the Israelites conquering people and then destroying them and their belongings.

Ok... Back on topic... I'm sure It was the garden hose taped to the snorkel :rofl3: So I could dive in the canal.... Didn't work to good...

Jim...

items of the 1950s

Res-Q-Pac

Life guard

Air liquide 2 hose reguator from Canada

We made our snorkels from aquarium tubes & gas mask hoses...mask were made from fire hoses--but they were safe and state of the industry

SDM

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom