What fish???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

highdesert

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
The title of the post is not asking, "What kind of fish is this?" The meaning is, "Where are the fish?" I've seen several posts lately in the Indo forum, and I've made the same observation here myself, that Indonesia is getting fished out, at least the areas the get dived. Yes, there are reefs or sites here and there that support a significant biomass, but they are few and far between. I ran across this article today, and thought it was worth sharing. Draw your own conclusions ...

Overfishing in Indonesia? What do you mean: I don?t see any fishers! ? News Watch

Well I saw about 50-60 trawlers near sorong harbour from the plane, and a fleet near rinca island. Most other operations probably fish in the middle of the night and in no take zones. I dont want to sound cynical but see it whilst you can because here today...

And yes as End Of the Line highlights...Its already happened. Just look at Japan, and their unsustainable fishing practices. Now they have to import most of their fish from oseas, and im sure that includes indo.

I saw a doco by peter kuruvita where he went to an area not far from Ternate..Gura ici South Halmahera. He went diving there on the bombed reef areas..it looked like a nuclear holocoast happened underwater there..

I don't think that this problem is restricted to Indonesia; I have been diving off of the coast of
California since the late 70s and the large fish observed have declined significantly.

I don't think that this problem is restricted to Indonesia; I have been diving off of the coast of
California since the late 70s and the large fish observed have declined significantly.

I'm sure it's not; there is probably not a country not affected by it. Only posted here since we dive Indonesia regularly and I came across the related article.

Every ocean is 90% overfished....look at the straits of Gibraltar for example (blue fin) or the stock of oceanic white tip sharks, they used to be the most numerous shark in the indo-pacific region.

Taiwan in the early eighties had a huge whale shark population and average catch size from 88-92 was around 12-14m now the fishery has collapsed.

Cod in the north sea.

Waloo in the pacific

the list is endless....big groupers are now non-exsistant in indo,

green jobfish...almost gone

its shocking unfortunately

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom