Most desirable ScubaPro 1st Stage .... ?

Vote for your favorite

• MK-17

Votes: 13 44.8%
  • MK-25

Votes: 16 55.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It depends. I'm a Mk17 guy, since I tend to prefer diaphragms, and I LOVE the way it routes in doubles, but I HATE the angle of the HP hose. It juts right at the wing and has to be carefully routed in doubles, and even impinges the wing with singles-routing.

That said, I have come into some Mk20/25s, and for single-tank Hogarthian routing, I MUCH prefer the Mk25. Run the long hose out the bottom port, and the necklace and inflator on the sides of the turret, and it's SO clean and neat.

The way I see it, the Mk17 is a better reg and has better doubles routing, but the Mk25 has better routing for single-tank, IF you want to set it up Hogarthian. The cold-water prowess of the Mk17 is moot (for me), since I don't dive THAT cold, (yet), and if I did, it would probably be in doubles, (so I would use my Mk17s).

Hey, Scubapro, listen up! I'm a big fan, and not slagging off on you, but you REALLY need to bring back the Mk19, AND let us in North America have it! Mk17 awesomeness with Mk25 hose routing. It would be the only first stage you would need to make.

Best SP 1st stage: Mk 5, late model, or updated with ss swivel bolt, heavy duty yoke and and multi lp ports ;

Next best: Mk 10, particularly if you want to set it up as DIN

Mk 17s, Mk25s, etc. are excellent, and tie for third place.

For additional information consult the on-line Scubapro Museum. By now, Scubapro must surely have put up their new version, with much more detailed information about the incomparable Mk 5 and mk10 classics .

I like the Mk V in updated form. If I were to buy today I would probably get a Mk 17.

N

They both are great. I prefer MK5/20/25 routing. I do not see how 17 routing is superiour for doubles. I have both and preffer 25. I found MK25 is way easier to clean after a flood. And that happens on stages more than I like. So I preffer them on stages except when I only carry one and the water is very cold.
Cool factor wise MK5 in DIN config with metal saddle paired with a metal second like 156 or converted pilot is the winner :)

17 for sure. Simple design, and almost ice proof.

MK5 all the way, then the later model MK10 with the SPEC boot, and actually I love my MK15; it's an under-rated 1st stage IMO. After that I'd go with the MK20 upgraded with the composite piston, then finally the MK25. Notice a trend here?

I don't have a MK17, but I certainly like my MK11 and if I had to buy a new SP 1st stage, I'd buy the MK17 or MK11. But with the many, many great used 1st stages available I could not personally imagine walking into a dive shop and buying a new regulator.

No problem with older MKs 1st stages, but if I have the choice between Mk17 and the MK25, I go for the MK25.
The reason is the much higher stability in the IP output on part of the M25.
I don't get it why SP is not able to produce for their MK11 - MK17 1st stages a more constant IP.
In their manuals they even write that you should expect an IP difference betwen full tank and empty tank of 2 -12 psi, and therefore you should adjust the IP first at low tank to 145psi.
My problem is, that of the all the MK11s and MK17s I had on my workbench not one showed an IP difference less than 8psi between full tank and near empty tank (600psi). One MK11 showed even 13psi difference.
First I thought that maybe the extensive use of the dive pros here around and their tendency to bring their regs very late to a service, might contribute to this. But then I bought two MK17 for some customers and checked them out of the box. The result was an 8psi and ten psi difference.
I have never seen numbers like this on MK25s, especially not when they are new.
Also I hardly ever found those differences on AQ Legend - Mares or APEKS 1st stages.
If the main subject for a first stage is to produce a constant and stable IP over the course of a dive, than I find the performance concerning this quality not very impressive and stay rather with my MK 20 - 25.
A MKII usually has a IP difference between 15 and 20psi between full and near empty tank, the MK11 - MK17 according to SP up to 12psi.
Question is from which value on can we consider a first stage balanced not only from their technic, but from their actual IP output?
I just look from that angle, I'm not a cold water diver.

Are you saying that the MK11-17 have lower IP with a near empty tank or higher? I would think higher, but I'm curious what you found.

Halocline, the IP is higher at low tank, this is why SP recommends to set the IP at 145psi at low tank and work from there.

Back
Top Bottom