Tailoring Lavacore?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Akimbo

Just a diver
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
What is involved in tailoring Lavacore? Are seams sewn only? Is special stitching required? The size chart indicates the pants would probably fit but the shirt isn’t even close… which is the story of my life. All my suits are custom.

I wouldn't bother with "customizing. sewing, stitching", etc. It's no secret that Lavacore's sizing is a "little challenged". I would request that your dive shop order the size you think is going to fit, and the next size up or down, and TRY THEM ON. It took a couple of "try on's" to get the right one for me. But I will tell you, it is worth it ! The stuff is great :)

Hi Akimbo,
We always suggest that you try on a garment before buying. The way to check your sizing first would be to know your chest, waist and hip measurements and compare them to the size chart. We do not suggest that you alter the suit, as alterations will void the warranty. The stitching is a seven needle flat stitch that is common on all thin wetsuits and rash guards. Most tailors do not have this type of machine.
Best regards,
Scott Mastrangelo
VP of Sales, LavaCore

Akimbo,
When I was at the dive show in Denver this fall I was measured for a custom tailored Polartec fleece suit. I will try to find the shop's name. I think the material is similar.

Hi Akimbo,
We always suggest that you try on a garment before buying. The way to check your sizing first would be to know your chest, waist and hip measurements and compare them to the size chart. We do not suggest that you alter the suit, as alterations will void the warranty. The stitching is a seven needle flat stitch that is common on all thin wetsuits and rash guards. Most tailors do not have this type of machine.
Best regards,
Scott Mastrangelo
VP of Sales, LavaCore

I think that it's pretty well understood that once a garment is modified, the warranty is off.

I have a lavacore shirt that I like, but I'd like it a whole lot better with a 1/3 zipper in the back and an inch taken out from the middle of the torso down. I did try mine on before I bought it. I have the XL, which I needed to get my shoulders into, but the waist is too loose. I had to have someone help me get the Lg off. I'm 5'-10", 190 lbs 45" chest 34" waist and don't really peg into your size chart real well.

The point is, I think that Akimbo asked a valid question and saying that its a mystical factory stitch and the warranty will be void isn't much of an answer. Maybe instead of blowing off the question, you could recommend a service that would be able to do the alteration.

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom