Trip Report - La Parguera, Puerto Rico, December 27-30, 2012

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The drive from San Juan to Guanica takes approximately 2.5 hours. You will be on Highway 52 all the way through Ponce. This road goes through the mountains but it is very smooth. Watch your speed. In PR, the cops ticket more aggressively. Make sure your order the Toll Option with your rental car. You will be able to go through the toll lanes and will be billed later by your rental car company. Don't worry if the red lights flash when you go through the express lane. The toll administration will know it's a rental car. At the end of Highway 52, you will go west on Route 2 towards Mayaguez and get off at Route 116 towards Guanica/Parguera. Just follow the signals. Personally, I prefer La Parguera over Guanica when it comes to restaurants and life but that's just me. I have dove with San Juan divers in the past and they are a good operation and, yes, they are closer to the wall.

Just returned earlier in Jan from diving in Puerto Rico. Stayed in Ponce and flew in/out of San Juan so did the Hwy 52 in each direction. Def echo the toll pass - my rental car company said the same thing - don't worry about the red toll light. They charged a flat fee ($10 I think) for this convenience and then billed back the actual tolls after the fact. Made the drive much easier and hassle free.

The proximity of Guanica to the wall is what appealed to me. It did not disappoint. I cant speak to restaurants, etc in Guanica, but on the advice of the folks at Island Scuba we went to lunch in Boqueron. There seemed to be a nice assortment of restaurants and things to do, for a small town.

Thanks Gino. I am working on a short trip to Guanica and La Parguera. I just spoke with Nayda, and she confirms they will be diving even with only one passenger. I do have a question I hope you can help with. How "difficult" is the drive between San Juan and Guanica. I hate mountain driving!!! But the flights into Ponce are too inconvenient for my schedule. So I'll probably have to drive.

I dive with them about once a month. They have 2 boats and yes if you are the only one they go out. The boats in La Parguera actually dive most of the site in Guanica. Everyone just says that it is La Parguera. The distance is very short that is why they travel 25 min. I can tell you that you will get more dive sites diving with Nayda. Plus she is cute and has the best attitude on the island.

It is easy to drive there except the last 10 min. There is a really wierd set of turns that can confuse even the locals after a beer or two. We usually depart here in San Juan at 0530 or 0600 and arrive at the shop 0700 to 0730. We brief and off we go. They are a good boat for deep dives. We usually have some shallow divers and we drop down a wall to the fun areas deep down the walls. They are very professional and are not in a hurry as many cattle boats are.

Do not try flying to Ponce as it is a waste. Land in San Juan d get a rental car and head south. One hour and thirty minutes and you are there.

I just looked at some other post. For me departing from the airport "non rush hour" it takes me 1.5 hrs. If I stop for coffee add 15 min. Since you do ot know the area give your self 2 hrs. I have never taken mor than 1 hr 45 min to Guanica. To La Parguera it takes longer.

Let me know when you are going to be here and we may be diving there at the same time with our team. Weather has been great down there while the north has been off and on.

I dive with them about once a month. They have 2 boats and yes if you are the only one they go out. The boats in La Parguera actually dive most of the site in Guanica. Everyone just says that it is La Parguera. The distance is very short that is why they travel 25 min. I can tell you that you will get more dive sites diving with Nayda. Plus she is cute and has the best attitude on the island.

It is easy to drive there except the last 10 min. There is a really wierd set of turns that can confuse even the locals after a beer or two. We usually depart here in San Juan at 0530 or 0600 and arrive at the shop 0700 to 0730. We brief and off we go. They are a good boat for deep dives. We usually have some shallow divers and we drop down a wall to the fun areas deep down the walls. They are very professional and are not in a hurry as many cattle boats are.

Do not try flying to Ponce as it is a waste. Land in San Juan d get a rental car and head south. One hour and thirty minutes and you are there.

I just looked at some other post. For me departing from the airport "non rush hour" it takes me 1.5 hrs. If I stop for coffee add 15 min. Since you do ot know the area give your self 2 hrs. I have never taken mor than 1 hr 45 min to Guanica. To La Parguera it takes longer.

Let me know when you are going to be here and we may be diving there at the same time with our team. Weather has been great down there while the north has been off and on.

Bhtmec2:

Could you expand on your comment regarding flying into Ponce? I guess is matter of personnal preference and for me and my family flying to Ponce is the best. I wish I could do it this year. Now I am in Atlanta so I have to fly Delta to San Juan. I have not fly to San Juan in more than five years. I have flown to either Aguadilla or Ponce. When I was stationed in Tampa we flew to Ponce becuase is so close to my hometown (Sabana Grande) and I am there is 30 minutes. I understand is a very early arrival (300 AM) so you might loose a day. In my case I sleep in the plane and I am rested once I get there. Is small airport, you get in and out easy and has major Car Rental Companies... Aguadilla (BQN) is also an option. It has more flights as there are more tourist that prefer the Rincon and Aguadilla area.

Hope you are enjoying living in PR...

Thanks!

Bhtmec2:

Could you expand on your comment regarding flying into Ponce? I guess is matter of personnal preference and for me and my family flying to Ponce is the best. I wish I could do it this year. Now I am in Atlanta so I have to fly Delta to San Juan. I have not fly to San Juan in more than five years. I have flown to either Aguadilla or Ponce. When I was stationed in Tampa we flew to Ponce becuase is so close to my hometown (Sabana Grande) and I am there is 30 minutes. I understand is a very early arrival (300 AM) so you might loose a day. In my case I sleep in the plane and I am rested once I get there. Is small airport, you get in and out easy and has major Car Rental Companies... Aguadilla (BQN) is also an option. It has more flights as there are more tourist that prefer the Rincon and Aguadilla area.

Hope you are enjoying living in PR...

Thanks!

Most people fly in to San Juan and getting a connection to Ponce usually means waiting several hours before a flight to Ponce. Just a matter of time management for a vacation. It is all about where you are coming from and the connections. I travel so much each month that I hate waiting for hours in any airport.

You are right about getting in and out of the smaller airports.

Living here has its ups and downs but it is not bad.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Most people fly in to San Juan and getting a connection to Ponce usually means waiting several hours before a flight to Ponce. Just a matter of time management for a vacation. It is all about where you are coming from and the connections. I travel so much each month that I hate waiting for hours in any airport.

You are right about getting in and out of the smaller airports.

Living here has its ups and downs but it is not bad.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Is s true, if you are flying from West Coast It could be a long wait to get that flight to Ponce. But the option is always there. It works for some but it does not for others.

I agree w jlevine, you are so lucky...I wish the Army will send me down to PR for a couple of years...I was there TDY ( Temporary Duty) in '99 when the Navy Base was still open. Let see what happens when is time for moved again in a year or so...

Thanks everyone for all your help.

I definitely plan to take the toll option, and I will most likely take my GPS too. I already booked my flights to San Juan. Getting excited. Total warm water wuss and it's been a couple of months. Can't wait to get back into the water.

I've added all this info to what I had already collected. It will make my trip so much easier..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom