How many of you think about this??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Apparently, I have been under a rock and not following Mary Lee and Genie-- neither of which I am interested to meet on a dive. I think I would "pit my shants"... However, I will now eagerly follow their adventures in the Mid Atlantic... and think of them whenever I go diving... LOL

I would probably be the slowest swimmer, but the plumpest morsel for the shark. :coolingoff:

You don't have to be the fastest diver, you just have to stab the team member you like the least and go about your deco and watch the show.....................Joking of course.

I have only been diving for four years and last year on two different dives I have seen sharks. It does concern me some because usually we have fish with us. I have this video of me and my son spearfishing and all of a sudden there is a shark coming directly at us. I noticed quickly that it was a Sand Tiger about 8' and went forward to swim with it :) I can only imagine a great white coming up on us like that,it would be like a submarine appearing out of no where and with our viz you only have a few seconds to figure out what to do. To be honest I dont like thinking about sharks while I'm down, it makes me nervous when we are spearfishing.
In the video the shark comes into view at 3:00, it was pretty cool :) You can hear my son laughing and screaming at me because he was scared.

parking lot 2a - YouTube

Joe (owner of Dive Quarters) has talked many times about " the parking lot" & we have actually tried to get there but it is such a long run for us we never had the conditions to run 40+mph & get there.
He talked about the biggest Flounder he has ever seen, but also the Shark population was also quite extreme.
Which never bothers me. But I don't spear, all my shots are taken with a camera.

---------- Post added February 1st, 2013 at 05:39 PM ----------

Nice video, would love to dive up there, Joe always talked about a huge barge up there.
That was just a baby Sandtiger, come down to Hatteras & meet some big ones who enjoy playing chicken with divers.
Looked like a nice Tog on the ring though.

Joe, Dewey, and I dove the P-lot a few years ago prospecting for a night Lobster dive site. We loaded up on Flounder (and yes the largest we've seen). We then headed over to the Marine Electric and overnighted there for a couple of dives. Perhaps when I get back from Fla I'll stage the boat out of Chincoteague for a week with good weather. The Monroe is one of my favorite dives.

Will

Sorry thead hijack..................

Will I will be just west of you an hour, in No Flo instructing at Jennings GP the first weekend in March, if you want to dive that sunday, I can forgo heading home and get wet with you.

Randy,

Have to pass, it's the first week of school and Wendy will be down with me. How would that look, in Fla for a week and already taking a flyer to go diving...

However, keep in mind Freedom will be in Mayport (Jacksonville) about 1/4nm from the ocean. I plan to spend a lot of weekends in Jax...

Back on track with the Thread... never seen a Great White while in the water. Have seen Oceanic White Tips, which I believe are more aggressive than a GW. Did get to see a Mako zip by me very close while doing deco in Truk. I think the Tuna it was chasing was trying to get the Mako to focus on me or the suspended stage bottle. Man, was it fast! Had the video camera with me but it was over in about three seconds, too short to power back up.

Will

We were on a wreck about 20 miles out of IR inlet.When I was 2min. into my safety stop a Mako swims by at the edge of my viz which was about 15-20'. That was a long 60 sec. hanging by myself looking to see if he showed up again :) That was my only other siting.

Makos and Threshers are majestic sharks, very cool to watch. I can only imagine what it's like to hook one (on rod & reel).

While diving at night I often have that "something's out there feeling", especially when I've got a bag of bugs. I generally don't spearfish at night; #1. Too much blood in the water and #2. Thrashing fish. Add the apex predator (sharks) and my luck would be a big bull shark coming for a visit. Lobsters are fine.
All kinds of things go through your mind while you're hanging there...in the dark...by yourself. At some point the theme from Jaws starts playing in your head.

Back
Top Bottom