Help for Recommendations for Manatees and crystal river or elsewhere

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You want to be very careful about the armpit thing. Anytime you are rubbing under an animal it very easily looks like you are LIFTING the animal closer to the surface. Remember it's what the situation looks like to the Ranger standing on shore. This activity has got people and ops. in trouble in the past. One hand, open palm, nothing from under and the Rangers have never had a problem. Make sure the manatee comes to you and you don't swim to it. This year they have been looking at the situation very closely. They are expecting in the next several years these tours will double in the number of people. They already have 70,000- 100,000 coming each year!

Yes, be gentle and have your hands visible so the observers will not get the wrong idea.

I know recently they are promoting a "look but don't touch" philosophy, but touching is a very moving way to interact with these animals. From my 15 years of doing these trips, if you are still and quiet in the water, many manatees will come up and "ask" to be scratched by rolling over or lifting their fin for a gentle rub. It seems to be a mutually enjoyable interaction, which is one of the things that makes it so astonishing in the wild. The animals actually like it, you are not disturbing them if you are gentle, use only one hand, and keep an arm's length distance whenever possible. If the one you are touching swims away, just hang around, another one will likely come along and if it does not, then just enjoy looking.

Please do follow the rules about not chasing or pursuing them. If you swim quietly in the area or float around, they will approach you and that is always the best interaction anyway. If you have to swim after one it means they are not interested. It is easy to get enthusiastic and swim to as many as possible (yes, that was me on my first trip years ago), but waiting for them is the best.

We also have noticed the increase in crowds. If it doubles in a few years, then we can expect more regulations (and rightly so) that will basically ruin it for everyone, unless people really discipline themselves to behave.

Mark, Enjoy Florida. As you are probably seeing Crystal River is a ways up from Miami but worth the trip. While you are up there if you get bored w the river, check out the spring water caves, not too far away. www.ginniespringsoutdoors.com

Not exactly GBR but a nice unique surprise.

P.S. Very jealous, someday I hope to get back down to do the Yongala.

Just back from Judy's and my road trip. It was a quickie. We left Sunday around 1:00 and were back home yesterday by 4:00pm . I can't say enough good about the Best Western CR and Birds.

The hotel is less than 5 min from the boats. It is clean and comfortable, with free wifi and complimentary breakfast. I got to the Lobby at 5:30am and there were already pots of fresh hot coffee. Which was all I needed. Check out is noon - so plenty of time after the manatees to take showers before we hit the road. One night incl tax: $110.00

Birds runs a good operation. There were a lot more people than I expected for a random Monday morning. But I was told Mondays and Fridays are usually crowded this time of year due to long-weekenders. The best days, if you want less people, are Tues-Thurs. And Birds did put all the little kids on one boat (of which there were four under the age of 5). They took that boat to another location. I was on the boat with the photographers. Cost: $55 per person. You should also budget in a tip for your boat captain - they earn it. Capt Chris was incredibly knowledgeable and patient.

We were taken to Three Sisters, which has the beautiful clear water. There were already two other boats when we got there. (Different operators) Non-swimmers are given styrofoam noodles to help them float. This actually puts them more upright in the water and even feet 2 ft off the bottom, the silt was stirred up pretty quickly. So viz was not the greatest. Also as soon as a manatee left the roped off sanctuary area people would swarm it. There weren't that many - the colder the weather the more they congregate. It's been a pretty mild winter so far. Water temps yesterday were 72 and air temp was 60 at 6am - I think high was close to 80. And none of the manatees were particularly playful or friendly.

Bottom line, you are swimming with wild animals and have to accept the conditions of the day. It doesn't help to get frustrated by the lack of friendliness on the manatees part, or idiocy of the noodle people. I just enjoyed the experience, hanging for long periods watching the babies cuddling with their mamas, watching them go up for air every so often. They are beautiful animals and a lot of fun to observe ... even if my memories are better than my photos.

Tips: Plan your visit for Tues-Thur and the colder the weather, the better. Make sure you get to Three Sisters if you are taking photos. And just enjoy - regardless of what the day brings.

M11.jpg M10.jpg M7.jpg

Thank you for all the wonderful information - we are leaving for the Florida Springs tomorrow for our check-out dives and we couldn't be more excited! I have been checking the weather in the area and I was actually concerned that they are experiencing a little cold snap, but after reading this thread, I've learned that's a good thing as far as experiencing more manatees! Thanks again for the thoughtful advice and recommendations - really very helpful.

If you want an enjoyable learning experience, take the PADI Manatee Specialty Class taught by American Pro Diving. I thought it would be a gimmick, but it was really educational.

I've been out with birds underwater before. We went during the summer, but they still located a few sea cows for us to jump in with. Great times.

Went back up to CR this week to debut my new Sony RX100 w nauticam housing.

Midweek is definitely the time to go! There were only 10 people on my boat - all adults - and only one other boat there when we arrived. I resisted the temptation to watch the manatees in the roped off area and immediately bee-lined inside the spring. There were at least a dozen manatees including two mothers with calves. I waited long enough and one of the calves started nursing. I stayed for at least two hours and at one point realized I was the only person back there. It was pure magic. By the time I got out I was so cold I was shaking like a leaf but it was totally worth it.

We went out with Birds and stayed at the Best Western again - it's so convenient I can't imagine staying elsewhere.

I am absolutely thrilled with my photos. For being my first time using it underwater I could not have asked for more. Tall Guy took the last two from the boat. (He refuses to wear a wetsuit). Which goes to show you that even if you don't get in the water you're still in for a treat.

CR4.jpg CR2.jpg CR3.jpg CR6.jpg CR7.jpg CR8.jpg CR9.jpg CR10.jpg CR11.jpg CR12.jpg

Perhaps my favorite snorkel trip is up that creek and into the springs. Thanks for the update and beautiful pics. Is that the new camera?

Is that the new camera?

Yes Bill!

Yup - all photos except last two were taken with the new Sony - no flash. I kept it on "Intelligent Auto" setting (aka "picture taking for dummies"). As I get more comfortable I'll switch to manual.

There is a new FWC rule in effect this year: no flash photography until one hour after sunrise.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom