Grand Cayman Ops

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Johnny Mojo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Will be going to GC over Thanksgiving and looking for a good op. Three OW divers, me, my daughter and my brother. Obviously want the Kittywake, some good scenery (walls, swim through's and ???). The plan would be to do morning dives (2tank) and be back on the beach by lunch with the rest of the family. We would want to do this 3 maybe 4 of the days we are there. One has a total rig. TE other two have m,f,s and bc's but would want to rent the rest.

Who should we look for great service, good op etc? Sort of a loaded questioning, I know but straight scoop is has always been found here. Will be at the Westin if that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance for the help!

J.

There are lots of good Ops offering what you are asking for.I have dove with several ,DNS Diving,Indigo,Ambassador,Sunset House,Peter Milburn....and several others they are all good .I would stay away from the Cattle boats like Don Fosters,Red Sail and a few others.Most will pick up at your hotel making transportation easy and almost all have rental gear available.

A little pricier, but VERY personal is Epic Divers. Nice boat, uncrowded and Freddy really goes the extra mile for you.

Bryan
SCUBA DESTINATION DEALS - HOME
We're going to try Epic Divers in April. Freddie has been great to work with on the phone and via email. I look forward to reporting back after our trip.

Thank you all for the replies so far. I am looking into all. Has anyone heard of living the dream? I think they are a husband and wife start up. Still looking into Kitty Wake dives as well. None of us are cert wreck, but it seems like I read somewhere that there were certain parts of the ship that were accessible to OW. PLEASE DO NOT MISUNDERSTAND ME WE DO NOT WANT TO DO A PENETRATION DIVE. We would like to hang out around the bridge etc. Anyone have any first hand experience.

I've been away from the site for a while and am hoping this will reignite my daughters interest in diving again. Bass guitar and boys are getting most of her time. :)

Tanks for the continued insights.

J.

If you read my response I said i would stay away from Don Fosters ,Red Sail and some others....Living the Dream falls into the others.

The Kittiwake is an interesting wreck for someone who has never done one,it has holes cut into it which allows for penetration BUT if you are not comfortable just stay on the outside.The massive prop is interwesting and there are lots of nook and crannies to see marine life.The bridge is there to admire.

I read somewhere that there were certain parts of the ship that were accessible to OW
The first 3 decks.
4- Certification Level and Wreck Penetration

a. Open Water Scuba divers are only able to dive on decks 1 to 3 of the Kittiwake and must be supervised.

b. Advanced Open Water divers may dive on all decks of the Kittiwake but must be supervised.

c. A diver holding a Wreck Specialty certification or Rescue certification or above, may have unsupervised access to all decks of the Kittiwake after a guided orientation dive. Guided orientation dives must be within 2 years of the previous dive on the Kittiwake.
The Official Website for the Kittiwake Shipwreck - Home

Hi,

I've dove off of Carnival ships two times at Grand Cayman, once with Seasports Seasports Diving | Grand Cayman Diving and once with Neptunes Divers Cayman's Original.

I'd go back and dive again with either, both only take out 8 divers at a time.

Have fun!

Although they have cattle boats, we dove with Din Fosters and loved it. They separated us into smaller groups based on experience.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom