Magician to Catalina

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I see the scythe butterflyfish almost every visit to Crane Base but usually deeper, like 45-55 FSW. They are very shy so when I get to the right area I slow down and look into the deep crevices with a light that isn't too bright. Every so often they are also out in the open and even in pairs but they duck into the safety of their reef at the slightest threat. Just stay there calmly and they will eventually return most times.

Where is the right place you may ask? When Jerry anchors at Crane Base, head toward the island and go left to 45'. You'll eventually begin seeing the larger boulders, cobalt sponges, tons of kelp rockfish, possibly some scorpionfish, both CA and rainbows. If you see all this then you are in the right general area. The deepest I have seen them is 55' but most often around 45'. Here is a pic I took on a Magician trip on Dec 9, 2012. (I hope it works from an iPad!)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 65
Where is the right place you may ask? When Jerry anchors at Crane Base, head toward the island and go left to 45'. You'll eventually begin seeing the larger boulders, cobalt sponges, tons of kelp rockfish, possibly some scorpionfish, both CA and rainbows. If you see all this then you are in the right general area. The deepest I have seen them is 55' but most often around 45'. Here is a pic I took on a Magician trip on Dec 9, 2012. (I hope it works from an iPad!)

That sounds like where we were looking for them. Next time we will look more carefully in between the boulders.
Nice photo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom