Trip Report - La Parguera, Puerto Rico, December 27-30, 2012

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jlevine

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I’d like to provide an overview of my scuba trip to La Parguera. Puerto Rico from December 27 through December 30, 2012. I’ve been coming to La Parguera at with some buddies at this same time for several years. It offers great diving and a very relaxing atmosphere where you can truly unwind and detach from the normal business that so often surrounds us.

I dove with West Divers (Scuba Diving in La Parguera, Puerto Rico) which is one of the two dive shops in town. Their shop is located near the very end of Route 304 as you come into town. Their dive boat and shore base is at the former Parador Posada Porlamar.
We were asked to meet at the dive shop every day at 7:30am for a 8am departure. Please keep in mind that is “La Parguera time.” We usually came around 7:45am and the boat would leave between 8:15 and 8:30. Our divemaster for the entire week was BamBam (Eliel) Ramos and our boat captain was Manny (Emmanuel) Mercado. Both of these guys are top notch. We dove with BamBam before and wanted to dive with him again. West Divers tries to use him whenever they can.

We were asked to sign release forms each day. We were given a brief overview of how the day would go. We were then asked to set up all our gear. Each day is a two tank dive so I definitely recommend checking the pressure on both tanks beforehand. West Divers uses standard air. Nitrox is not available. There were a few days where the tank pressure was below 2800psi, my threshold for rejecting a tank.

We were given a safety briefing on the operation of the boat. There are life jackets on board, fire extinguishers, and a marine radio. Both the divemaster and captain had cell phones as well. There is an emergency lift raft and a locator system. We then began the 25 minute boat ride to the first dive site, usually the wall that the area is known for. Although the ride is generally smooth, I do take sea sickness medication because there can be occasional swells. The waters were pretty calm for the first two days of diving but we did have 4-7 foot waves during the last two days. Overall the waves were very manageable, but the medication did help.

When we arrived at each dive site, the captain dropped a current line into the water. In the middle of the current line there was an ascent/descent line. We were asked to wait on the current line until the divemaster told us to descend. The first dive was generally a wall dive for 40-50 minutes. We would swim out to the wall and go down to 80-90 feet for about 20 minutes. The wall is incredibly vibrant with lots of life. You’ll see standard Caribbean fish as well as eels, lobsters, crabs, and an occasional shark. After 20 minutes, we swam over the top of the wall with the remainder of the dive being 50-60 feet. The dive ended with a three minute safety stop at 15-20 feet. We were reminded to approach the ladder cautiously due to the wave action.

During the first surface interval, we were offered sandwiches, fruit, water, and soft drinks (and after the second dive the infamous Bimbo Brand Cookies!). We changed our tanks and then began our trip to the second dive site. The total surface interval was 50-60 minutes. The second dive site was usually a shallower reef site with a maximum depth of 45-60 feet. After the second dive, we began the 25-30 minute ride back home. We were usually back on shore between 12:30 and 1pm.

The sites we visited included:

Efra's Wall
The Hatchery (four moray eels!)
Fallen Rock
Chiminea (chimney)
Andreas 1
Andreas 2
Posas
An Unnamed Site

We paid $85/day plus tax for each day of diving. We provided our own gear. Gear is available for rental if you need anything. The shop accepts credit cards.

In terms of accommodations, I suggest Villa Parguera (Parador Villa Parguera - Portada) . It is one of the island “paradores,” which are a type of traditional inn. The rooms are clean and come with A/C, a television, phone, and a private bathroom. The staff is very attentive and will do what they can to help you.

For breakfast each morning, I recommend going to Supermercado Perez which is near the bottom of the hill on Route 304. You’ll probably see some roosters and some dog sleeping in the road (no joke!) as you go there. Supermercado Perez opens at 7am and offer eggs, toast, bagels and some other things. Their coffee is fantastic. There are a few places to grab lunch in town (Reef Pop, Yolanda’s, Los Balcones). For dinner, the best places are Restaurante El Turromote (just outside of the main town at the marina), Moon’s Tapas (in town), Yolanda’s (in town) and the Puerto Parguera (in town). There are also several shops that sell empanadas (meat pies), pinchos (skewers of meat), burgers, pizza, and other things. For a different experience, head over to San German, and Cabo Rojo (each 30-40 minutes away) or go to Ponce (an hour away) for various restaurants and attractions.

I’ve been coming to La Parguera for several years and enjoy it. It is truly a relaxing vacation with great diving. I’ve already made my hotel reservations for 2013 and look forward to going back. I commend BamBam and Manny , Harry (the owner) and the staff at West Divers for offering a top quality diving experience.

Thanks for the update on La Parguera! We dove there several years ago and have been yearning to get back. Glad to see West Divers in action.

Brilliant! I have been looking forward to a report on La Parguera and this answers a lot of questions for me. I have been wanting to go there but I was told that if the boat is not full West Divers will not go out. Is that true? How many people do they need to head out? Since Puerto Rico is not as big a dive destination as Bonaire and belize etc I was thinking there might be a lot of days when there is no one to dive with. I dont have a dive buddy and would not want to end up there and be stuck on land. Based on your experience, is that a realistic concern?

Sinbad,

Your concern about the boat not going out is valid. West Divers requires a minimum of three divers in order to go out because the wall is 25 minutes away. A few years ago, there was one day when there were only two of us and we agreed to pay more to go out. When I go to La Parguera, I usually have at least two friends meet me there to avoid this issue. If you want to go to La Parguera during a really slow period, you may not have enough divers. If there is a particular week you have in mind, I'd call the shop before hand (say two months in advance) and ask them what they think. Also, for what it's worth, I've had dive shops in both Roatan and Belize not go out on slow days. At least in those places, there are other dive shops within walking distance. In La Parguera, there is one other shop (Paradise Scuba & Snorkeling). If West Divers doesn't go out, maybe Paradise will.

Please let me know if you have more questions.

Guys:

Island Scuba (Scuba Diving School & Dive Trips in Puerto Rico - Island Scuba) out Guanica ( 9 miles drive from la Parguera) does not require a minimum of divers to go out. I have spoken w several Veteran Dive Operators in that area and all recommend them. Look them up in Tripadvisor as their reviews are excellent (Island Scuba - Guanica - Reviews of Island Scuba - TripAdvisor). I will be diving with them (Pedro and Nayda) when I go home next month ( I am form Sabana Grande the town north of Guanica) They take divers out to La Parguera Wall as Guanica is very close to La Parguera by water. If you dont want to drive you can stay in Guanica, there are two hotels there and two B&B's (Guanica Tourism and Vacations: 3 Things to Do in Guanica, Puerto Rico | TripAdvisor) Copamarina Beach Resort is pretty expensive but the others are reasonable. I wil posting a trip report once I come back...FYI I have no stake in this operation...

Gracias!!

Gino

Last edited:
Guys:

Island Scuba (Scuba Diving School & Dive Trips in Puerto Rico - Island Scuba) out Guanica ( 9 miles drive from la Parguera) does not require a minimum of divers to go out. I have spoken w several Veteran Dive Operators in that area and all recommend them. Look them up in Tripadvisor as their reviews are excellent (Island Scuba - Guanica - Reviews of Island Scuba - TripAdvisor). I will be diving with them (Pedro and Nayda) when I go home next month ( I am form Sabana Grande the town north of Guanica) They take divers out to La Parguera Wall as Guanica is very close to La Parguera by water. If you dont want to drive you can stay in Guanica, there are two hotels there and two B&B's (Guanica Tourism and Vacations: 3 Things to Do in Guanica, Puerto Rico | TripAdvisor) Copamarina Beach Resort is pretty expensive but the others are reasonable. I wil posting a trip report once I come back...FYI I have no stake in this operation...

Gracias!!

Gino

Thanks Gino. I am working on a short trip to Guanica and La Parguera. I just spoke with Nayda, and she confirms they will be diving even with only one passenger. I do have a question I hope you can help with. How "difficult" is the drive between San Juan and Guanica. I hate mountain driving!!! But the flights into Ponce are too inconvenient for my schedule. So I'll probably have to drive.

Thank You for your detailed report!

I did get various responses on tripadvisor that may help others planning a trip, so I am reposting some of the interaction here..

"From the San Juan area, take Route 52 south ... continue on 52 through Ponce ... then pick up Route 2 west ... finally take Route 116 south into Guanica ....
Google Maps is your friend ... Google Maps"

"Rt 52 is a divided toll highway expressway from San Juan through the central mountains to the southern coast ending in the city of Ponce. There are no traffic lights or stops unless it gets backed up from traffiic congestion in the San Juan area. It's a nonstop shot to Ponce. From there you have to take Rt 2 which is also a divided limited access highway."

"Thank you all for your help. I also google earthed it and I think I should be able to handle those elevations. Thanks a lot."

"It's highways through the mountains south of Cayey. But highways, not twisty turning little roads. After that, it's basically flat."

The drive from San Juan to Guanica takes approximately 2.5 hours. You will be on Highway 52 all the way through Ponce. This road goes through the mountains but it is very smooth. Watch your speed. In PR, the cops ticket more aggressively. Make sure your order the Toll Option with your rental car. You will be able to go through the toll lanes and will be billed later by your rental car company. Don't worry if the red lights flash when you go through the express lane. The toll administration will know it's a rental car. At the end of Highway 52, you will go west on Route 2 towards Mayaguez and get off at Route 116 towards Guanica/Parguera. Just follow the signals. Personally, I prefer La Parguera over Guanica when it comes to restaurants and life but that's just me. I have dove with San Juan divers in the past and they are a good operation and, yes, they are closer to the wall.

Divegirl412:

Sorry for not responding sooner. Jlevine is correct and his directions are on point.However if you have a GPS, most of them work there. I take my TOMTOM every year with no issues. As jlevine said, watch out for the cops. Two things you need to be aware of.
1. They will hide behind bushes and will point you to stop. For the most part they dont hide and chase you. They will be hididng behind bushes outside their vehicles and when you approach, if you are over the speed limit then they will point at you to stop.
2. Also a new law just went into effect 1 Jan'13. You must have a hands free device if using a cell phone while driving. If they see you talking on a cell while driving you will get a ticket.

Another thing to remmember is that PR roads are marked in kilometres not miles, so when you see distances on the signs you either need to change your GPS to km or remmember to convert mentally from Km to miles. However speed limits signs are in MPH....Yes confusing...Gas is sold in liters not gallons, so when you hit the gas stations remember to multiply by 3.8 if you want to know how many dollars per gallon you are paying. When paying for Gas you might have to step out and pay inside as I've not seen many places you can pay in pump down there.

Also landmarks are a big way to get around the island. Once you leave San Juan you will start climbing in the Caguas area two tolls in this area) of HWY 52. Then you go downhill until you get to Cayey. It will get flat for a while. The view is spectacular. Then you will climb again until you reach Salinas (you will pass the Salinas toll but you dont pay on this one) after Salinas is flat all the way, the next toll is in Juana Diaz. After that you will see Ponce. You can't missed it as there is Hugh Letters Sign across the hwy with "PONCE". Then you will see the last toll of hwy 52. Make sure to follow route 2 to Mayaguez. Once you hit route 2 you will hit several lights, once you pass those you will drive by coast of Ponce. It is beatifull area. You will see the some keys and also " Caja de Muertos" (Cofin) Island. There is good diving there too. Pedro takes groups there also. Stay in route two. There is some construction going on on the old industrial complex area known as " La Cuesta de la Corco" ( Cuesta = Hill) (Here you will see abandoned factories etc )
The next big land mark is the town of Yauco. You will see a decent shopping center om your right "Yauco Plaza" ( there are a Kamrt, Walgreens, etc there)Once you pass this shopping center you will see the signs for "Guanica" route 116. Once you take the exit follow the signs to "PLAYA SANTA" that is where San Juan divers is...or call Nayda or Pedro and they will guide you.

Good luck

Thx

Gino

---------- Post added January 28th, 2013 at 03:44 PM ----------

Thanks Gino. I am working on a short trip to Guanica and La Parguera. I just spoke with Nayda, and she confirms they will be diving even with only one passenger. I do have a question I hope you can help with. How "difficult" is the drive between San Juan and Guanica. I hate mountain driving!!! But the flights into Ponce are too inconvenient for my schedule. So I'll probably have to drive.

You can also check out Aguadilla Airport ( BQN) they have more flights than Ponce. The following airlines fly directly there Spirit ( from FLL) , Jet Blue ( MCO and JFK), United and AirCanada ( Newark). They have major rental car companies there and the airport is small so getting out is very simple... They also have Amerilink doing flights all over the Carribean ( Aruba, Barbados, St Thomas etc)

The drive from Aguadilla to Guanica is on Route 2, It's 52 miles and about one hour and 15 minutes drive.

Good luck!!!

Gino

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom