Dead dolphin at Veterans Park

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

undrwater

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Divers at Veterans Park found a dead dolphin in about 70' very near Cookie's Crab Shack. I had already done my dive, but I was the only one around with a camera. Roc and his group took it down to see if they could get footage. They did.

[video=youtube;IbwG2XR33Z0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbwG2XR33Z0&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Other divers in the parking lot later mentioned that someone had reported a separate incident of a dead dolphin similarly wrapped in line a week before. Please post if you have any information about that.

Thanks!

This is heartbreaking. I get that animals die, but this does not look like a natural death.

What was it caught up in? Are those lines tethered off and anchored?

They look that way don't they? The footage never shows where the lines end, and I'm not sure if the group followed them. I don't have Roc's contact info, otherwise I'd ask him. I don't think I'll be there again until Wednesday, so I'm hoping someone else comes up with an answer to that.

Over the years several groups have installed circuits of permanent guideline at Vets. Looks like this animal may have become entangled in some. Very sad :(

Divers may have caused this? !?! Oh no! :-(

Sad, but thanks for posting....thanks Roc for filming. My guess is what Phil thinks...lobster lines. :(

Will try and get out with bad weather.

Thanks for the alternate explanation. Still a very miserable state of affairs none the less.

This is recent then. I dove at Vet's on Mon, Jan 21st and when I went by the Crab Shack there was no dead dolphin then. Water on the surface that day was flat as a pancake.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom