Women Specific BC Opinions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Firewalker688

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello there. This is going to be directed to the ladies for the most part as it is a question of>>> Do you find the "ladies" version of a BC to be a must have on your gear. I assume they are built in a way that goes around the breast area but do you find that it is a must have or just kind of a nice feature.

My wife was wearing a BC in her dive class that was oversized and quite a struggle for her to manage that and her skills. I know a mis fit is going to be a problem anyway, but all things equal is it best to buy a ladies specific BC or do you just buy one and consider it a unisex piece of gear?

I welcome your answers as well as particular brands and models you have found to be very nice to have. She tried on a Sherwood/LUNA model and said she really liked it. Any others you would recommend? Thanks in advance

Scott

I like my Ladyhawk. My old bc was also a ladies but it was flak jacket style. I liked it too, actually miss the pockets. I'm not very tall so found the non-gender specific bcds just didn't work for me.

Not any womens specific bc, but a bc that is small enough. I use a mens scubapro lighthawk in xs/sm for the pool and backplate/wing for ocean. Most likely due to rental availability they had her in a too big bcd. Pet peeve of mine. I can make any bcd work if its small enough for me.

Zeagle Zena. You provide measurements and it comes with three different aspects of the BC that are individually sized.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 194
Try them on if at all possible. Fit preference is so personal. I did not like the ladies fit and I wanted something light weight. I dive with an Oceanic Islander and have been very pleased. But I do all warm water diving.

I hated when I wore the jacket style BCD as rental gear so a woman's style BCD was quickly a must have for me. I dive with an Aqua Lung Lotus i3 and absolutely love it! It fits very well and is very comfortable. I really like the i3 technology as well. I do miss having the extra pocket that you sacrifice for having the i3 but it's worth the tradeoff.

I have recently tried on the Cressie Women's Air Travel when I was just puttering around a shop and really liked the way that one fit as well. It is super light for travel too. But I personally would still purchase the Aqua Lung Lotus i3 over it.

I dove with the Oceanic Hera which I quite liked, but am selling as I switched to a BP/W, which I like the fit of even better. PM me if interested.

My wife has a scubapro model that has a swivel built in the chest strap buckles that allows the straps to be routed around her chest. This single feature won her over as the strap routing was a major complaint with her prior bc's.

I am not sure if this feature is unique or not.

The wonderful thing about a backplate with a Hogarthian harness is that it's infinitely adjustable. If you are narrow-shouldered, you can cross the straps. The harness runs over the head of the humerus and under the arm, so it doesn't crowd any other anatomic regions :) There are no big flaps or pockets to eat up a short waist. And once you have it adjusted properly, you never need to adjust it again (unless you change shape).

I wouldn't dive anything else. It was such a feeling of freedom and comfort, the day Nw Grateful Diver lent me his setup (which I refused to give back, bought, and still own and dive).

Yes, a women's B.C. can be an excellent idea for some women.

Scubapro offers the LadyHawk & Bella for women.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom