Master Diver Certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

He's her freakin' father. Not you. He has the right to encourage her to do whatever he wants her to do. Be it doing light tech diving, go to church (or to mosque), shoot guns (or not), ad infinitum. He doesn't have the right to force her to do whatever he wants, but that's another story.

There's no such thing as "light tech diving". It's like being "a little pregnant" Either the surface is available at any time, or it isn't.

And parents do not have the right to allow or encourage their children to do any number of dangerous things. There are actually laws in place for that purpose. For example, sledding through an avalanche zone or sailing around the world solo.

flots.

One thing that I thought of at work after posting in this thread is that I have this idea that there is no such thing as a "light tech dive". That's the kind of thinking that gets people killed.

As an engineer by training (MSEE) I don't "feel." I go by hard data.

As an engineer, you will understand the concept of "orthogonal", which is what MSD and tech training are. They don't cover similar material or skillsets.

It's not that long since we had a woman with no cave training at all trying, at length, to justify going on a "trust me" dive with her husband and son in a sump in Florida. People were a little touchy about the subject, so you might get more static in this discussion than otherwise.

Cetus, while I'm sure that nothing I'll write will influence you at all, I hope that perhaps it will at least give you pause -- at least for a second or two.
Every comment and every opinion matters and influences me.

I'm a PADI recreational instructor who also has some technical training. Because of what I felt was a hole in the PADI system, I created a new PADI Specialty (what PADI calls a "Distinctive Specialty") called TecReational Diver. It is aimed at you -- the recreational diver who is exploring the limits of "traditional" recreational diving. It is, in fact "Fundies Light" and may well be a stepping stone for some of my students to GUE Fundies or UTD Essentials.
It seems like a good idea for people to get to know what tech diving us about. I see it somewhat differently.

When we started out training we had an option for referral to be completed on Hawaii. I decided against it. All our training is and will be done in Monterey unless we want environment we don't have here. As such, I don't want any light version of the serious training. Being not ready for something means more time spent in class, online and in the ocean. "What is difficult in training will become easy in a battle" (Alexander Suvorov).

I wish my daughter had shown an interest in diving
I raised my daughter and earned her trust and respect without stopping being a parent. "Like father, like daughter" she says. But let's leave parenting skills out of this thread. We can always start another :)

You've made several comments about having "DIR gear"
"GUE/DIR setup" per my profile. Not having but configured accordingly with GUE/DIR philosophy.

There's no such thing as "light tech diving". It's like being "a little pregnant" Either the surface is available at any time, or it isn't.

Whatever. It doesn't matter.

And parents do not have the right to allow or encourage their children to do any number of dangerous things.

Says you. The laws differ. What's "dangerous"? Motorcycle riding? Sky diving? Snowboarding? Skiing? Rec SCUBA diving? Equestrian?

There are actually laws in place for that purpose. For example, sledding through an avalanche zone or sailing around the world solo.

flots.

Weren't there a 16-years-old girl that attempted to solo sail around the world a few years back? Why wasn't she in jail? Why didn't the US Coast Guard stop her?

Weren't there a 16-years-old girl that attempted to solo sail around the world a few years back? Why wasn't she in jail? Why didn't the US Coast Guard stop her?

She was younger and the Dutch government actually took custody of her to stop it.

flots.

And the US Coast Guard has no jurisdiction around the world. Only in US waters. Or whatever they say are US waters at the time depending on their mood. But I can safely say a place like the Indian Ocean is a flip em the bird zone and tell em to piss off.

And the US Coast Guard has no jurisdiction around the world. Only in US waters. Or whatever they say are US waters at the time depending on their mood. But I can safely say a place like the Indian Ocean is a flip em the bird zone and tell em to piss off.

You might think so, but you would be mistaken.

Last edited:
Dear fellow divers,

I feel great after finding that so many people express concerns for my and my daughter's safety. Some of you praised us for the achievement and others used rather strong language to ensure our well-being. Acting on the information they had.

I appreciate all and every advice I can get and this thread is no exception.

I believe that I owe you a little more data about the dive I mentioned. While the main point of the thread was my achievement as a father and my daughter's achievements as a scuba diver, the dive we executed attracted more attention than I could ever wish for.

1. It was a training exercise to get used to stage bottles and practice navigation skills.

While recreational divers typically dive without any redundancy assuming they have an infinite supply of gas within reach, they know it's not always that easy to reach that gas and live and ignore it. I always believed this is dangerous and moved to doubles after my first 20-30 dives. I feel nervous when my daughter uses a single tank setup and insist on some redundancy. She's too young to use doubles but this it only a matter of time.

2. It was a technical dive (TD) accordingly with major agencies definitions.

Namely, as defined in Technical diving - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, NAUI defines TD as "use of nitrox above 36%, multiple mix gas diving," PADI says "use of multiple gas mixtures in a single dive" and NOAA states that "Technical diving often involves the use of special gas mixtures (other than compressed air) for breathing. The type of gas mixture used is determined either by the maximum depth planned for the dive, or by the length of time that the diver intends to spend underwater."

This means that I can take EANx32 on my back and air in a "pony bottle" and if I use both at 20' it will be a technical dive.
Feel free to use your own definition of technical diving but don't refer to your training in such case.
I used NOAA definition to plan this dive.

3. It was a multilevel shore dive within PADI limits (and you will get to see the data)

If you planning to come to Point Lobos and look for Andrea Doria in Whaler's Cove, let me disappoint you: it's not there. The point is, when you hear "technical diving" and "14 years old" you should not jump into imagining a tiny 14-years old descending to the darkness of the Pacific Ocean on a single AL63.

4. About that 14 years old

My daughter started diving when she was 12 and turning 15 in a couple of months. Ask the Peace dive boat captain who is the first (if not the only) 14 years old to dive SM1 in a strong current, twice, all within PADI restrictions and he will pull a manifest with my daughter's name. Ask him about Gosford and you will hear the same answer. Ask Ken of CIDA (Northern Wrecks | Channel Islands Dive Adventures) who was the only 14 years old on the board of Peace and who earned respect of very experienced adult divers present on that charter trip and you will hear the same name.

And now ask yourself, can your kid do that? Parents only. Kids please don't bother.

5. Dives are different

We all know that 50 dives on Hawaii resort are not the same as 50 dives in Monterey. Our dives in Monterey are different. Our typical dive is long and many divers make two before we come from our first one. Add strong (4-6') swells and 48F water and you'll begin getting the picture. This is what we call home.

6. Dive profile, as promised.

I know flaws can be found anywhere. Ask me. As some people noticed, you don't know what you don't know.

DiveProfile-1-1-13-bw.jpg

7. Final notes

I see that some people jumped into conclusion based on their own definition of our dive. While I respect everyone's opinion, I cannot accept their advice based on their imagination.

Thank you!

Cetus

Last edited:
Thanks for providing more information on your dive and continuing the discussion on this!!

But still I don't think many jumped into conclusion based on their definition of your dive. According to your description, you did a staged deco dive with more than 10 minutes mandatory deco obligation to 125 ft without having training for that kind of dives and with a 14 years old who should go no deeper than 70 ft according to Padi standards for Junior divers (age 12-14) AFAIK. It can be discussed if this is a good idea or not but in the end it's your choice anyways. But these are the facts, or am I wrong?

Save diving!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom